For the raw milk supporters....

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow. They just got this from me, and to add to the impact of my letter, I am posting it online:

How dare you put the squeeze on farmers by blackmailing them to stop selling raw milk at the farm. It is none of your business what anyone does in their own home. You can certainly regulate your own product, but to use strong-arm tactics on the dwindling number of family farms....shame on you. You are also using KGB, Nazi SS, and mob tactics to control what I can buy for my family. Un-stinkin'-believable.

I will be watching for Organic Valley products and will be boycotting them. I will be sure to tell my considerable network of students (many are also teachers and have a large circle of influence) to also boycott your products until your behavior is again ethical.

I eagerly await your reply. I can just imagine the form letter drivel I will hear from you. If you even bother.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Will be composing my own letter this evening. I almost wish I was currently buying their products so I could stop. I will be quite vocal about it anyway.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Here is the one I just sent....

I just learned through this article http://food.change.org/blog/view/organic_valley_bans_farmers_from_selling_raw_milk_on_the_side that your company has decided to stop doing business with farmers who also sell raw milk directly to consumers. Is this true?

I can't imagine why a company like yours would make such a harsh and foolish decision. By denying farmers the choice of selling some of their raw milk directly to the public you ultimately effect the choices of consumers like me. I find that very upsetting.

Food diversity and the ability to get the most nutritious food from the freshest sources available is something I believe is very important. When your coop makes a move like this you start to act and sound just like the large manipulative agri-businesses that people are moving away from in droves. I am angry enough that Colorado laws do not allow me to purchase raw milk directly as it is. I had been considering Organic Valley a close alternative.

I only recently began purchasing Organic Valley products from the Vitamin Cottage in Colorado Springs. Just yesterday I purchased an 8oz package of raw aged sharp cheddar. I am also a regular consumer of your pastured butter. But if your coop is going to take a stand that harms farmers that sell raw milk and raw milk products to cosumers, I can no longer support you and will stop purchasing anything from the Organic Valley brand.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and more.. they dont make any sense and check out the date:
June 26, 2010? really? they are ahead of us in time? jerks:

http://www.organicvalley.coop/newsr...cooperative-statement-on-raw-milk-decision-2/

Organic Valley/CROPP Cooperative Statement on Raw Milk Decision
The Raw Milk Debate
La Farge, Wis.
June 26, 2010
Contact P.R. Elizabeth Horton
work 207-838-0084 work elizabeth(at)simmerpr.com La Farge, Wis.

In March of this year, Organic Valley/CROPP Cooperatives Farmer Board endorsed a statement supporting the legalization of raw milk in the state of Wisconsin that was sent to Governor Doyle. This was in keeping with the cooperatives long standing support of consumer choice. So why in May, did the CROPP board vote to not allow its farmer-owners to sell raw milk? Is this a reversal of the position?

The raw milk issue at CROPP is one of the most deeply debated topics tackled by the cooperative in its 22 year history. The debate has been active on the membership, board, committee and management team levels for well over a year now, with the hope for a win-win solution. During this year volumes of informationresearch studies, illness cases, legal precedents, nutritional information and so on were brought forth. Each side was convinced that the information they brought to the table would sway the other side. It is correct to say that we are deeply familiar with both sides of the issue and we are still divided. So why did the Board finally vote to not allow its members to be in the raw milk business? The synopsis below may help explain the decision:

* Most CROPP farmer-owners drink raw milk and many believe in its benefits. The decision is not because we are against raw milk.
* An unknown minority of our 1600+ dairy farmers sell raw milk as a side business. Some simply sell small quantities to neighbors, while others market it more actively.
* Raw milk is growing in popularity and is truly a local product. We believe consumers should have the choice to purchase it directly from the farm and consume it expediently.
* CROPPs mission is to serve its farmers. We do this by being in the business of selling pasteurized organic milk under our brand, Organic Valley. This is a complex endeavor. Our model is to have regional milk going to regional markets. Our board wants its farmer-owners to stay focused on our model.
* At the request of the membership at the co-ops most recent annual meeting, the board wanted to end this drawn out raw milk debate, and they took the more conservative route, to prohibit the farmer-owners from being in the raw milk business. This decision will require all our farmer-owners who sell raw milk to choose one business or the other. This may end up being a boon for the raw milk movement in the states where it is legal. The Cooperative cannot condone the sale of raw milk in the states where it is illegal.
* CROPP Cooperative is not against raw milk. We have let our farmers sell raw milk on the side for two decades. We have gone through a well vetted, inclusive process. It is now time for us to stand by our board's decision.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Federal Grant Money??? This stinks like yesterday's diapers.

Does anyone here know how to create a facebook petition?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We have let our farmers sell raw milk on the side for two decades.
REALLY???? "Our" farmers? Are these farmers owned slaves to Organic Valley, that they can "let" them....or not "let" them....diversify their income? Wow. A police state. So this is what freedom really looks like. The American dream, to have one's own business. Hmmmph. Need to write another letter to OV.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just got finished reading the press release.

Apparently in the agreement with the farmers, OV has a clause that makes the farmer's milk sales "All or nothing". Either all their milk (other than that needed for family & calf feeding) is sold to OV or none of it is.
Needless to say, they are getting pounded right now for actually deciding to enforce this rule.

Here's mine
I currently buy a few items from OV, namely butter & cream. However, due to the board's decision to enforce the "All or nothing" rule in the contracts signed by farmers, I will no longer be purchasing OV's products. I, and many other raw milk activists, would have been better pleased with the removal of that clause, rather than enforcing it. I do understand that OV has been a proponent of raw milk, but I feel that the raw milk movement was ill served by this decision.