For those of you who make bread....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Today, I decided to just make the dough in my bread maker and bake it in the oven..

So, here's the question....after I put it in the bread pan, do I let it raise again before I bake it, or do I just take it out of the bread maker and into the oven.

Thanks!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes let it rise again and then bake. This is how I always do it. I use the breadmaker for mixing and kneading, then rise it again in bread pans. You will like it soooo much better that way!

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If the dough is room temp. when you put it in the pan, I would let it rise for about 30mins. If it is cold from the fridge like mine sometimes is, let it rise for an hour.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I wanted to share that the other day I made a loaf of wheat bread for the DH....I use 1 C bread flour with 2 C wheat flour....

anyway, I decided to add honey to the recipe. He loved it! Now I'm not a wheat bread fan at all, but I did taste a bite and it wasn't that bad, lol. I could taste the honey, so that helped. It was about 1/4 C of honey. :)

Hope your loaf turns out yummy! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I use all whole wheat for mine--always have,and I use honey too. My rcipe cals for 2 tbsp honey and 2tbsp molasses, but I hate molasses, so I do 4 tbsp honey. It is good.

This loaf was a little doughy--I think I didn't let it rise long enough before I put it in the oven, also, the crust was hard. I will try it again in two days (when I need more bread,) but I do like the shape of this bread better--which is why I wanted to do it in the oven this time .

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Also, putting a dish of boiling water in the oven with your bread (on the rack below) will help keep the crust soft, too. Though, honestly, oven-baked bread tends to be crustier than the bread machine type, which cooks really slowly and isn't heated on top.