For those who are interested in whole wheat

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
1.Whole Wheat: Natures storehouse of 44 vitamins and minerals plus bran "locked in" the "staff of life" gives life(when planted) and sustains life(when eaten). Wheat requires planting or milling to unlock its magnificent nutritive and therapeutic qualities. The body recognizes whole wheat as a complex carb, and therefore doesn't affect the glycemic index.
2.Bran: Essential to good health. Bran permits the body to rapidly eliminate wastes and toxins that result from the digestive process. Wastes and toxins are believed to be the cause of many health problems and disease. In addition, the worlds consumption of highly processed foods,(consisting mainly of white flour, fats and sugars, without bran) is definitely the cause of obesity, diabetes, heart and circulation problems.
3.Middlings: The highly nutritious outside layer directly under the bran. This part of wheat, which contains a high percentage of minerals and vitamins, is removed and sold to ranchers and farmers as livestock feed.
4.Wheat germ: The important source of vitamins and minerals is also removed and sold separately as a food or food supplement.
5.Wheat germ oil: The wheat germ oil is rich in vitamins also, but it is removed along with the wheat germ to insure longer shelf life. Oils exposed to air oxidize and rapidly turn rancid, giving a bitter taste to foods that become harder to digest. Rancid oils have also been shown to be carcinogens. Wheat germ oil is widely used in cosmetics because of its high percentage of vitamin E.
6.White flour: The result of the commercial milling process is white flour, almost entirely devoid of nutritional value. It is tasteless(flour & water make paste) and is usually flavored with sugars, fats and salt. White flour, which is without bran, cannot be easily digested and is at the root of many of today's diseases, obesity, constipation, diabetes, hypoglycemia, hypertension, heart disease, etc. "Enrichment" which is required by government regulations consists of only restoring artifially small amounts of thiamin, niacin, B1, B2, folic acid and iron.

I got this info 2 yrs ago when I took my whole grain & grinding class. It is titled The Grain Display Kit. Just thought I would pass it on with all the discussions going on here about whole wheat.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Your welcome. I think it shows we made a right choice about how to eat better. NO offense to those who are not eatting whole wheat they grind themselves. Again it is a personal choice.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Your welcome. I think it shows we made a right choice about how to eat better. NO offense to those who are not eatting whole wheat they grind themselves. Again it is a personal choice.
Well, they are probably not viewing this thread so are not offended!

I read and read and read about grinding my own wheat for a LOOOOONG time before I actually....finally!.....tried it, fairly recently. I WISH I had been exposed to it years ago by someone who ground some in front of me and had me smell the difference, then taste the difference. I already knew it was healthier, the thought of doing the work seemed so overwhelming in today's microwavable-in-mere-seconds world.

Little did I know that you can grind grain in mere seconds, too!

I hope the economic crisis moves more people to ss and eating real food so it becomes more readily available. Then more people will develop a taste for good food and make more demands in the stores and restaurants. Imagine that! Just a dream.....

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
True did not think of that, just don't want to hurt anyones feelings.

I read about it for a few yrs before I actually started too, but I was taking care of dmil who was terminally ill at the time too, so that kind of put a lot of SS things on the back burner for a few yrs. But I am so glad I started grinding finally!! I wonder though if things get really really bad in this country if there won't be more nasty processed foods available because no one will have the money to pay for the good stuff. But to me it makes more sense to keep the better stuff out there as it does not take as much work to process it, so fewer $$ spent by the companies to get the food out to the public.

But I do think you will see more people gardening this yr than they have in a long time. Even if it is just a few pots of lettuce & radishes they start with.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, I heard last summer that sales of veggie seeds and plants shot up. And just trying to find canning supplies last summer and fall was difficult around here and online. I got my pressure canner and it took many e-mails and phone calls to finally find one in the back of a warehouse in Florida!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wow! That is a huge increase in your area then! I know the plants & seeds sold faster & better here last year too, but the canning supplies(except Walmart) were always available.