For women only please!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Does anyone here make their own femine pads? If so do you know where I can get a pattern & instructions for making them myself? I am tired of paying the outrageous prices at the store for them. Even the generic ones are going up in price.:th Although I am hoping that I won't need them for much longer!!:bun

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hillbilly house wife .com I love this site it talks about alot of self suffcient things. Click on other goodies and I think there will be a spot on there about this subject. I thought about this too, I know they'd come in handy after the first couple of days during the big RED MONSTERS visit. I mentioned it to dh and you should of seen his face! Good Luck.

TX Honky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
me again, that site is also where I got the bread recipe I use. it makes 4! and really really good.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Totally going to have to check that out!

I am feeling frustrated, because with the first 4 babies I breastfed and didn't have the Red Monster for the entire year I nursed!

This time, my baby is almost 3 months, I am nursing, and I just started my monthly cycle!! :eek:

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've made some by just sewing together 2-3 layers of flannel, using a store-boughten pad as a pattern. I wasn't all that happy with them, though.

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am currently making more. I use a store bought pad for the pattern too. I went to the dollar store and bought alot of washcloths--some i used as a base with velcro closures, and then I attach two bands on the gusset part. then I take the extra washcloths, fold, and insert between the bands depending on your level of flow.

Store bought pads irritate me (I have sensitive skin :p) and i do NOT like tampons., so home made has suited me fine. Mind you--I am a stay at home mom--I don't usually wwear them out for very long "periods" of time--I still keep storebought ones in the house.

Mine ain't pretty, but they work.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Would you mind posting a pic of your homemade ones? I am one of those people who need visual aids, sorry. :)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Totally going to have to check that out!

I am feeling frustrated, because with the first 4 babies I breastfed and didn't have the Red Monster for the entire year I nursed!

This time, my baby is almost 3 months, I am nursing, and I just started my monthly cycle!! :eek:
MY first 2 I started within 3 mos. But with dd(last one) I waited over 7 mos!!:woot :woot :woot
Boy did that make me happy. But they have been really heavy a lot of the time & I go thru so many pads that I thought I might be able to save some money making mine own.

I will check out the hillbilly housewife site, I haven't been on there for a long time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Would you mind posting a pic of your homemade ones? I am one of those people who need visual aids, sorry. :)
Well, I'm not quite finished my new ones, and I WON"T show you my old ones, so if you don't mind waiting.... I need to have these new ones finished by around the 25th, if you know what I mean...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Yes! Use store bought for a pattern, I used PUL for a base, and whatever you have for soaker.

Have you tried the Diva or sea sponges? I like the sponges best.

Latest posts