Formulating a plan

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Since I do not know where I will be living in the next 6 weeks (foreclosure, we may or may not be able to work out a deal to stay)

I have to focus on what I do have control over!

I am trying to keep energy costs down: Keep lights off, unplug appliances, cold water wash, air dry about 50% of our laundry (I hate scratchy shirts!)

To keep food cost down: Cook more from scratch, shop sales, stockpile more rice, beans, oil, salt & sugar. Make a list of what is in the freezer/pantry and create a menu.

To keep gas cost down: minimize driving, condense trips

Start thinking about homemade Christmas gifts.

I could really use a good bread recipe (DH like a the bread machine, I would prefer not to use it). I could also use a good breakfast bread, muffin cinnamon roll type recipes. Can anyone help?

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace when you get up in the morning tell yourself "I will be OK, I will triumph over this situation. I have what I need to make it through this day." And then give yourself a hug from me. :hugs

That said Hillbilly Housewife has a good bread recipe and strategies for making your food dollar really stretch. (Although I think that the dollar amounts that they attach to food items may be a little outdated)

If you have a good white bread recipe you can adapt it to just about anything, rolls, cinnamon buns, etc. And then once you have the hang of making basic white bread you can branch out into multigrain, etc. I think bread takes practice more than anything else.

I would argue that this might not be the best time to be stockpiling food. The time to do that is when you have a little extra money and you run into some good prices. Right now just try get enough food to make it through the week at the best prices you can get. If you stockpile anything right now it should be cash.

Try to make a game out of saving money.

You will make it!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't help much, but I do have a good bread recipe for this time of year. It's not quite as quick and easy as some, though, so perhaps you're looking for simpler things. Still not too terribly hard if you have a moment to peel, cook, and chop a squash:

Butternut-Oatmeal Bread (makes 2 loaves, or 1 huge freeform loaf)

2 packages yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
5 1/2 to 5 3/4 cups flour (depending on weather, etc.)
1 1/4 cups cooled mashed butternut squash (about 1 medium squash)
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup oats

Combine yeast and warm water in a small bowl to proof for 5 minutes, until frothy. Then combine yeast mixture, 3 cups of the flour, and everything else except the oats, and mix it up until smooth. Gradually stir in (or use hands) the oats and 2 cups flour, to make a moderately stiff bread dough. Knead until smooth and stretchy, about 10 minutes, adding enough extra flour to keep it from sticking to things. Let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 35-60 minutes). Punch it down, divide it in half if making 2 loaves. Shape however you like, and let it rise again, until doubled again (maybe 30 minutes). Brush with water and sprinkle some more oats on top to make it all pretty and stuff. Then bake at 350 until done. Maybe 35 minutes if it's in 2 loaf pans... tap the bottom of the loaf and if it sounds hollow, you're good to go.

One of my personal favorite fall/winter things to make. Very satisfying and hearty, and pretty darn healthy too, so I don't feel guilty about it.

EDITED TO ADD: Yeah. You might want something much more basic than this that's easily adaptable to lots of stuff. Hmm. Just have squash on the brain because it's everywhere around here. Hope everything works out well for you, and sorry to hear of your crappy situation.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Awww. Poppycat you are very sweet! I have tried several bread recipes but always struggle with sandwich style bread. I will check out the website and see what I find.

When I say stockpile, I mean throw a few extras in my cart...not serious stockpiling. It is important to my mental health to know that if a paycheck does not come, I can make do! :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks ScottyG, that recipe is not what I had in mind, but it sounds wonderful and I have a butternut sitting on my counter right now...first one I have ever grown!
I will definitely give this one a try, it sounds delish!
Thanks for your kind thoughts...crappy situations are no fun but they do come and go, just gotta roll with it.:idunno

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ScottyG
are we talking Quaker Whole Oats that I have in the pantry....just wondering

sounds wonderful and I am going to make this definitely.

wierd question,,,,,can I sub for the butternut squash something else if I don't have it available?? just wondering

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dace
You have a wonderful attitude. Hard times stink but they sure do hit everyone at some point....whether financial, medical problems, sick family members, etc. etc. No one is immune so you hang in there and all will be fine. Life will draw you exactly where you need to be...go with the flow, do not fight against the tide!!

You have some great starters but Poppycat is right.....don't over spend on anything. You must hang onto money. Money is needed now so keep it as close to you as possible without spending. Money right now is super important.....and you know this so just a few extras in the cart is a good idea. Change, anything, an extra dollar, doesn't matter, put it in a jar in the kitchen and let it build.

Don't worry---anytime you need certain money saving ideas to add to your list, just pop out a question and someone will come up with a good idea...but you seem to have tons of your own! This site is great for support and for learning! Smile Dace, you are heading in a good direction I am sure!!! :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Hang in there, you know what you're doing and it will work out in the end.

For sandwich-style bread I find that adding a few Tbsp of wheat gluten flour (aka vital wheat gluten or gluten flour) really helps get a light but stable texture to the bread. Some grocery stores have it near the regular flour, or bulk or healthy-crunchy type places carry it. It's cheap and you don't use much.

Best of luck,

Pat

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Dace- I wish I had some super advice but I don't. You have my sympathy and I hope your loan place is wise enough to work something out with you.
Is this a good time for a yard sale? Get rid of things you don't really need- one, to get some money and two, to lighten what you might have to move?
Actually I think it is pretty hard to get less expensive that oatmeal and milk for breakfast. Now's the time for apples too- I used to ask neighbors to be able to pick their apple and pear trees- mostly people would just let the fruit rot- go to the store to buy a pretty apple that tasts awful rather than eat and process apple that may have some scab or rust on them-silly people. Applesauce is easy to make.
Do you have an organization to help you deal with the bank?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Gosh, thank you all for all of your kind words...really I am deeply touched :love

I feel as though I have hit a gold mine here with this group. You all are great!