Free Firewood !!

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A neighbour just had a very large silver maple cut down, then used his tractor to move the bucked wood over to my place.

I guess I've got some work to do this evening.

Nothing like people knowing you will take their 'scrap' trees, only to have to split it. I love heating my house for free.

Most of the time I just cut stuff that the hydro crews clear, off the side of he road, and ask for wood from trees people cut down, that is within 10 km of my house. I guess at some point the wood starts to find you, eh.

Entropy

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great deal!! nothing like free delivered to your home!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've had wood delivered to my house, but not that much. Normally, I have to go out and get it myself. So, good for you.

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just got a phone call last night that a friend of a friend has had some trees taken down, and that they are mine for the taking. Located only 7 km from my wood stove!

We will have a full complement of firewood for next year now.

Good thing too, I might be out of work for a bit this fall.

Entropy

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That always helps. A couple of years ago, a friend of a friend cleared some woods out. The larger stuff they sold for lumber, but the stuff that was too small for that, they let me take. I got enough from it to last the following winter! And, I could have gotten more, but ran out of time. :/

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
:thumbsup If you have wood tools- keep your eyes open for any pieces that would make good cutting boards, or a pizza peel. Maple is good for that stuff and they are $$$ in the stores.

Entropy1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have just the basics of wood tools, no planer, jointer, etc. A buddy of mine has come out scavenging off the side of the road with me, and kept setting aside pieces that he later used for turning on his lathe. Said they had great spalding in them. He made some nice stuff, sold it for good $$$ too.

Entropy

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
If I had the tools for it I would have a good gutting board and a real rolling pin. That's what made me think of it.