Free Horses!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've had horses my whole life. Breeding operation for a while. Did a bunch of jumping for a time. Then into the old 'have fun and trail ride' for many years wtih my other horse friends.

I never spend a fortune on horses 'unless' forced by vet bills or my own need to own fancy tack. Of course my truck and gooseneck cost some bucks to trailer to the mts to ride.

I have alot of pasture. Feed costs were low. we made our own hay so that point was handled.

If you have hay and land and a run in shelter/barns, your horse bills can be low. $55 for shoeing every 6-8 weeks with pulling shoes for a while in winter (easy winters here).

The only horse I spent alot of money on was my last horse who had colic with twisted gut. Her vet bills totalled about $450 before I had to put her down.

The key items on a horse are vet, boarding, feed and hay and shoes. Depending on how you can handle this is what adds up for costs.
I am a farm with land and handle my own hay/barns/ etc. Then costs can be reasonable. The minute you have to pay for board or hay etc. then the costs mount fast.

Horse ownership does not have to be very costly. But be prepared cause in life every single thing can cost you fast. vet bills are the worst.