Free online calculators - the cost of doing laundry

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mr. Electric has a bunch of little energy calculators to help you understand how little or how much power you use for typical day to day living. A lot of people use a washer and dryer. You can see how much it costs to do a month's worth of laundry at your place by going here:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/laundry.html

I have been using homemade laundry soap for months, but sometimes I wash grungy work jeans in Simple Green, or add $0.10 worth of baking soda to the wash. I also have a private well, so every time I use a bunch of water, the pressure tank kicks on, using electricity. Ditto for the well pump. On the flip side, my Fisher-Paykel washer uses 1/3 less water than a standard washing machine. So my numbers aren't exactly accurate.

So, how did I come out? Drum roll please.... My cost by using homemade laundry detergent, cold water wash, 10 minute dryer time and 4 loads per week = $2.41 a month. Wowser!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Cool site! Thanks for sharing. I make my own soap as well, and make it for other folks. I'm saving a lot of money too, just not sure how much exactly. I'll have to go figure it now :D