Free rain collection barrel installations in LA.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
That actually looks like a pretty good idea, a lot of cities don't want you collecting rain water and have made it illegal because they want your utility money.

Unfortunately the rain in LA is about 10" a year and the last couple were only 4" for the entire year. That only equals about 3000 gallons for the season, though it would be a major help if everyone harvested it is only a months worth for the average user.

Here in western Kentucky we get close to 50" a year and can harvest all that I can use with 1000's of gallons left over.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ooh, too bad I'm in the wrong area -- I would love to take advantage of this.

The FAQ sheet says the typical L.A. home sends 9600 gallons of rainwater down rainspouts annually. It's probably less in drought years, but still a good amount of water that we could be using more wisely.

Thanks for posting this, tamlynn!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
Ooh, too bad I'm in the wrong area -- I would love to take advantage of this.

The FAQ sheet says the typical L.A. home sends 9600 gallons of rainwater down rainspouts annually. It's probably less in drought years, but still a good amount of water that we could be using more wisely.

Thanks for posting this, tamlynn!
With 10" that sounds about right but you haven't been getting that for the last few years, but its easy enough and cheap enough to start watering your lawn or garden with what you could be getting in barrels now.

A few years back you got 38" and is not typical but would be about 23,000 gallons then.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lady H: it does say that after the target areas have had their chance, the program will open up to people in "other" areas. I wonder if that means LA city itself or other county locations. I'm in LA county too. But honestly I can't remember the last time it rained.

Latest posts