Freerange chicken video

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There is an alternative to them being eaten by preds rather than locking them up all day~I go away from home for a week at a time and never lock up the chickens...don't even have a run attached to the coop. Just need a good dog out there all the time.

A good Great Pyr wouldn't have let a stray kill the chickens, so it may be time to get a better dog if you want to free range full time. Two dogs on hand ...are they out there 24/7? If not, it might be time to do that so they can do their job...if they will.

It can be done and done well with minimal losses, even in high pred areas, with the right dog and system on hand.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bees-key-points-to-successful-and-safe-free-ranging.65895/

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
He acts like there just isn't any way to free range full time....like there is no alternative to them being eaten by preds but locking them up all day~I go away from home for a week at a time and never lock up the chickens...don't even have a run attached to the coop. :idunno

What in the world is he using that big white dog for? A good Great Pyr wouldn't have let a stray kill the chickens, so it's time to get a better dog if he wants to free range. Two dogs on hand and they can't stop a stray from getting chickens? I wouldn't exactly call his setup free range...it's more a combination of penned and ranged, which is different than full on free ranging.

It can be done and done well with minimal losses, even in high pred areas, with the right dog and system on hand.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/bees-key-points-to-successful-and-safe-free-ranging.65895/

Lol my dogs aint good for much. Technically its not freerange.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oops....didn't know that was you! :D Yep, you need new dogs if you want to free range full time. I'll edit that post a little so it makes more sense. ;)

I'd call that a combination penned and ranged flock.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love your video @Chic Rustler! And, if you still have chickens your dog is doing a pretty good job! I don't blame you for keeping them penned when you're not there - I do the same thing but mostly to keep them out of the goat barn, lol.

Technically your birds aren't free range - so what? You are doing what works for you

Some LGD's guard birds - some don't. Some folks on here have "LGD's" that have to be kept on a run because they can't stay where they are supposed to be...

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Full time sure would be nice. Id save a lot on feed! But just doing it afterwork makes the yolks nice and dark in the summer.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't let my full time FR. The neighborhood dogs and hawks get them every time. The 11 I have left know it too, so they refuse to FR if I can't be out there too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everybody's situation and facilities are different. What works for one may never work for someone else...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My chickens don't free range , they have a run. I can't justify the expense of another dog just to protect chickens... and frankly, I don't like stepping in chicken poop lol. They're very happy chickens regardless!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
But the fact remains, what the egg people at the grocery store call "free range" is NOT free range. And honestly id rather have eggs from bird who are cage free and allowed to run the property when supervised.