Freeze proof auto watering system for buns? HELP!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok...
so in terms of fibro issues and homesteading, the hardest thing for me to do on a regular basis is hauling water...
the biggest one on that is of course, bunny bottles.
25 32oz bottles takes time and is heavy to haul!

id like to instal an automatic watering system in my new bunny "barn"

I know in terms of freeze prevention ive got 2 thigns to consider.
1: constant flow
2: Heat
3: combination of both...

given im in NJ and freeze is more than likely, im thinking I need to takle this from both ends...

im thinking of a number of options.

A: have a single system powering 25 rabbit cages, this would require the least amount of power cords BUT, ive be looking at having to run about 100 ft of pipe to recirculate for all the cages and back to the main source.

B: have a system for each side of the rabbitry...double the power cords but would mean only running about 40 ft of tube.

then theres the heating options

option 1: A large fish tank or stock tank heater in the water reservoir...
this would be the cheapest option for the large system...but im not sure if the water will remain warm enough to make it round the entire system if running such a distance.
it would definatly be the cheapest option overall even on the short system

option 2: running inline heat cable...this option is out of my fund range for a larger system but would potentially be doable for 2 separate water runs...

option 3: have 1 main reservoir with 2 pumps (1 powering each side)
which then still leaves me between option 1 and 2 for the heat...

my other question is what size pump would I need for thes options.

if im running a whole rabbitry system on a single pump im going to be running aproximatly 75-100 ft of pipe depending on how I configure and would have lift of about 6 ft. and would likely be using a 55 gal barrel as a reservoir.

if im running 2 separate systems or pumps each would be running 40-50 ft of pipe to get water out and back.
depending on configureation this wold be running 2 30 gals or 1 55....

trying to figure GPH is confusing lol, not good at math.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I did a heated system. I had 9 cages on the system, a 5 gallon bucket up high to feed water into it (gravity fed). I used heat tape and pipe insulation.

The failure of my system was DH insisted the heat tape be on a timer. Yup, system froze and split all the pipe. Probably the first night in use. :p

I'll be planning something coming up for this winter or maybe next winter. Right now, just 2 cages and the individual heated bottles are fine. Once I get going with rabbits, that won't be affordable!!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that's what im planning on using for the nipples too :)

I thought about heat tape too but wasn't sure how to insulate the pipe without the rabbits getting to the insulation and still having the tape close enough to the source to keep the nipples themselves from freezing.
that's the issue I had with the bottles in the barn, the bottles wouldn't freeze...but the metal nipples were freezing just s soon as I managed to thaw them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We had that problem with heated bottles 2 years ago. Now we put old thick socks on them for insulation No freezing problems since - even when we have -30 temps.

I wrapped the insulation with duct tape to discourage chewing. A couple rabbits still chewed, but not a lot and they decided to leave it alone. I was thinking about sliding thin plywood or something in between the cage wire and the insulation? I never got around to it since my system didn't last long!

I would worry more about the water and nipples getting too hot than too cold! When my system was on, the nipples were obviously WARM to touch. I'd guess 90+ degrees.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that's pretty impressive on keeping that warm....
Hmm...mabe too warm...wonder if just keeping the water itself warm enough and circulating would be enough then...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My system was pretty compact, it might be different with so much piping on yours? Mine was 3 cages up, 3 cages across. I ran the pipe sort of like "T". not much too it. You could try a float heater in your reservoir? But I doubt that would be enough on such a long run. Depends on what your water flow is? My system did not recirculate.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pump size would definatly depend on if I do a single reservoir feeding all or 2 reservoirs, 1 for each side...
which would, in itself be dependant on what id end up using...
on one side are 11 cages, on the other will be 10-11 perminant cages....
of those, about 1/2 go through almost a full 32 ounces of water a day, the ohers about 1/2 that...
assuming a full 32 ouces for all of them in the peak of sumer, that's 7.5 gallons a day...or a little over 50 gallons a week.

if I do an independent system for each side, id use 55 gallon barrels, and end up refilling probably every 2 weeks.
in those cses id be running about 45-50 ft of tube on a recirc system per side...
in that set up id probably put a 130-150 mag drive pump in each...

if I do a single system im looking for a 275gal IBC tote...id only have to refil that about once a month (much nicer in winter....
id have 2 options with that...2 pumps in 1 tank, each feeding to its own side...
OR
1 large pump (something in the 750-1000 gal range) to powr the whole system.
(that system would end up running about 100 ft of pipe to feed all the cages.

Latest posts