Freezing Corn in Glass Jars

Jabberwonky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a lot of delicious sweet corn in August, and in previous years, I have parboiled it, added a little salt and sugar, and frozen it in Ziploc bags. It tastes just like a piece of summer during the winter months! I have been considering trying this process again this year, but using glass jars instead of plastic bags. (I am trying to cut down on plastic use whenever possible.) I realize this method would take up a lot more freezer space, but I have a lot of freezer space.

The recipe I use says to make sure there is no air in the plastic bags, so I am assuming I need to use smaller jars, rather than big jars partially full. I am assuming I will be ok to just use this freezer method, substituting glass containeres, and not sealing the jars, since I am not actually canning, but just freezing... If anyone here uses glass jars to freeze things and has any tips or tricks, I would be glad to hear about them.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Interesting thought. I will admit, the jar method you mention is one I have not done (bag freezing, canning, dehydrating). Those zip-top bags are reusable, year after year, so maybe not as terrible to do long term I have never had much success using glass jars in the freezer, either glass breaking in the freezer or glass becoming brittle when taking out.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why not just freeze the corn on the cob?

Cut stem end off up to ear. Cut silk end off to and including tip of ear, to beginning of kernels. Pull off only loose outer shucks, LEAVE others.....freeze. it taste like just picked when cooked. I do use a large clear bag to contain them but 2-3 dz per bag depending on freezer layout.

For me, no jars in freezer. Breakage.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you need to leave some space in the jars for expansion or you may have some jars crack.

if you can get the kernels off the cobs mostly whole so there is some air gaps then you will be fine as long as you don't top them off with liquid or pack them tightly. we usually cook dry beans and then drain them and then freeze those in quart jars. never had any of those crack at all.

we use canning jars in the freezer for much the same reason as you. i dislike cooking or using plastics if i can help it for anything other than dry stuff.

Jabberwonky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Interesting thought. I will admit, the jar method you mention is one I have not done (bag freezing, canning, dehydrating). Those zip-top bags are reusable, year after year, so maybe not as terrible to do long term I have never had much success using glass jars in the freezer, either glass breaking in the freezer or glass becoming brittle when taking out.

I definitely think the plastic bag method uses way less space in the freezer and is much easier... I've gone around and around about it but decided to try the glass jar method this year and see how it goes. I purchased some reusable silicone bags a while ago, and they have worked really well for reuse, and are supposedly good for the freezer, but some of the seals are starting to wear, and they won't close properly anymore. I am wondering if I need to invest in more pricey ones if I buy more, but I always kind of balk at paying a large price for anything. I have washed and reused regular ziplocs, but I find that they're way less durable and they start ripping down the sides. I guess I'll find out if glass jars in the freezer is a horrible idea and, if so, maybe I'll try silicone bags another time.
:D:oops:

Why not just freeze the corn on the cob?

Cut stem end off up to ear. Cut silk end off to and including tip of ear, to beginning of kernels. Pull off only loose outer shucks, LEAVE others.....freeze. it taste like just picked when cooked. I do use a large clear bag to contain them but 2-3 dz per bag depending on freezer layout.

For me, no jars in freezer. Breakage.

Oh, freezing the entire cob sounds interesting. I wasn't aware that anyone does that. I probably won't, just for space concerns. I know the jars will take up space, but probably a lot less space than whole ears of corn.

you need to leave some space in the jars for expansion or you may have some jars crack.

if you can get the kernels off the cobs mostly whole so there is some air gaps then you will be fine as long as you don't top them off with liquid or pack them tightly. we usually cook dry beans and then drain them and then freeze those in quart jars. never had any of those crack at all.

we use canning jars in the freezer for much the same reason as you. i dislike cooking or using plastics if i can help it for anything other than dry stuff.

I noticed that my jars have a fill line labeled "for freezing," so that should probably help me remember to leave space.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, freezing the entire cob sounds interesting. I wasn't aware that anyone does that.
Everyone I know with corn does it! Fast, easy, great results. You could always can the kernels, if you do canning. If freezing in jars works for your situation, go for it 🥰

I can, so reuse jars forever. I freeze ears of corn and can many veggies, even corn.

Jabberwonky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I froze nine quart jars of sweet corn yesterday, which is probably all my family will eat for the year, and it went swimmingly. Until I was laying in bed last night and realized I accidentally put 12 Tablespoons of sugar into the salt/sugar solution instead of 12 teaspoons. 🤣 *facepalm* Oh my gosh.

So today, I am going to defrost one of them and taste it to see if it is edible or horrendous. The silver lining in this situation is that I can practice defrosting the glass jars. I read that they either have to be defrosted overnight, or placed in a bowl with cool water.

I also read that you're less likely to have broken jars if you put them in a box and wrap them with rags. All of my rags are in use, so I ended up using a lot of my saved non-recyclable freezer bags to make little packets that I placed between each jar. It was a little bit time consuming, but it worked pretty well, and I will be able to re-use the plastic packets every year, I assume.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I froze nine quart jars of sweet corn yesterday, which is probably all my family will eat for the year, and it went swimmingly. Until I was laying in bed last night and realized I accidentally put 12 Tablespoons of sugar into the salt/sugar solution instead of 12 teaspoons. 🤣 *facepalm* Oh my gosh.

So today, I am going to defrost one of them and taste it to see if it is edible or horrendous.

you can turn it into corn relish (add red pepper flakes, kidney beans or whatever else you enjoy) along with a bit of vinegar (to taste) and enjoy it. i would say don't thaw it to reprocess but just use it when you want and adjust it then. you may not even notice it in some things like soups or stews. or ...

Jabberwonky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
you can turn it into corn relish (add red pepper flakes, kidney beans or whatever else you enjoy) along with a bit of vinegar (to taste) and enjoy it. i would say don't thaw it to reprocess but just use it when you want and adjust it then. you may not even notice it in some things like soups or stews. or ...
You could rinse when thawed if it's too sweet and that might make it perfectly fine.

Such good ideas... thanks!