freezing lettuce

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I freeze kale and spinch, which I know are hardier than lettuce but has anyone ever frozen lettuce? I am thinking fresh from the garden not store bough(if there would be a difference). My mom said my sister tried it last year but our relationship is strained so we don't talk much so not sure how it turned out, but maybe someone here has. (otherwise I have to reach out to my mom.....:hide) It would be interesting to hear if it works, I would add to smoothies or even to save for chickens in the winter. Thinking ahead as spring is near and we usually have TONS of lettuces coming in

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So I freeze kale and spinch, which I know are hardier than lettuce but has anyone ever frozen lettuce? I am thinking fresh from the garden not store bough(if there would be a difference). My mom said my sister tried it last year but our relationship is strained so we don't talk much so not sure how it turned out, but maybe someone here has. (otherwise I have to reach out to my mom.....:hide) It would be interesting to hear if it works, I would add to smoothies or even to save for chickens in the winter. Thinking ahead as spring is near and we usually have TONS of lettuces coming in
I have cooked greens, pureed, and frozen in ice cubes for smoothies. That was super convenient!

My favorite is dehydrating and powdering greens. It's very space efficient, long shelf life. I sprinkle a little bit on anything I can get away with. If you'd put parsley on it, you can put greens powder on it. I also put it in capsules so I can get some greens nutrition when I'm not in a mood to eat something healthy.

I plan to pressure can chopped chard and spinach this year too. I haven't tried it yet.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lettuce is so tender that it goes limp and slimy when too cold in the frig. 🤷. The cell structure isn't as strong as greens. I would think it basically is not an item to do that well. BUT buy some and try it. Let us know. 😁