Freezing temps in the deep south

how to keep stairs from freezing?

• salt stairs???

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • burn books and furniture, instead of logs????

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So ya'll all know that my yard is still green (not for long) and that I have about 365 days of growing due to my location.
Well, its just about to freezing temp now and it will get below freezing within the next few hours. I already have ice hanging from the trees and some on the stairs where I need to walk. I have my firelogs downstairs, mostly and I need to bring up some. I'm afraid to hurt myself for obvious, numerous reasons. This might sound stupid, BUT....if I scatter salt on my stairs, will it help me out? I would need to go about 3 more times and get whatever I can upstairs. Plus if anyone happens to come over, I don't need them getting hurt either.
Mostly I'm fine, because I have power, gas and I've put a bit of water aside and did all my clothes and dishes, before turning off the water (I don't need busted lines) and draining the lines. I just need to keep warm and stay safe.
Hoping someone further north reads this soon (I know....ya'll all furthur north than me).

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hi @rhoda_bruce -

Do you have sand/grit or kitty litter? Spreading salt will melt the ice, but won't get rid of the water, and will possibly re-freeze.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No sand, except whats in the yard and muddy by now. No kitty litter either. My cat isn't inside....So salt really will keep it from freezing for a while then??? I applied some to one set of stairs. I'm doing what I have to regardless, but I'd like to be safe....for myself as well as any possible visitors. Hopefully my son will get to come home in a few hours, if they don't close the roads. Our parish president has declared us under a state of emergency.
I realize this sounds silly to most of the country, but if you see where we have to drive, you wouldn't want to slip and land in a bayou right now.
I think I'm doing a pretty good job keeping us warm, but don't want to break my neck. Thanx.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Salt will work fine, but it can be corrosive. :D Once you warm up, be sure to get it off the stairs.

Just be careful, take your time, and don't rush things. :old

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have it on good wood, that its actually snowing in the northern portion of the parish. I hadn't snowed here in about 10 years, so my children tell me, but I can't really remember that. I more remember the snow in 1989. But it must have snowed if my 17 year old recalls snow. It is rainy right now, so the salt will not stay anyway. The stairs are exposed to the outside.....a problem in itself. I really got to get a homemade elevator AND a set of stairs built completely protected from the rain, going into the heart of the house, rather than the front entrance.
Believe me, this is a VERY temporary problem.