Fresh Chevre question!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My reciPe say to heat my milk to 72*, add culture and stir then cover and keeP at target temperature for 18 hours.

What is the best way to maintain 72* for 18 hours?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always just leave mine covered on the countertop overnight at room temp. It comes out perfect.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
what she said. put a lid on the pot and just leave it be over night. whoot! you'll be so excited to see it tomorrow!

:)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Chevre is very forgiving. My recipe says 77 F. I don't worry about the temp during the holding time...my recipe also says 24 hours. I'd worry about the holding time if the house was cold, then I'd wrap it up really good. And maybe re-warm it a bit in a water bath in a few hours.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Countertop if the house is warm. If the house is chilly, I heat up a picnic cooler, dump the water, wipe the inside dry, wrap the pot in towels and place it in the closed container. Good luck! Looking forward to pictures. ;) :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh great idea Kel!

Well I think I will FINALLY get to it today! I will update when I have actually done something!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What recipe are you all using? I need to make some cheese here again in the next day or so.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm using the "200 Recipes" book. There is a recipe on www.fiascofarm.com, but I thought I didn't like chevre when I used that recipe. However, I am also using a different culture this year....M19 or something like that. :p