Friend wants to go in on beef - need advice

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I aksed her how much and for a few details. She said that it would be on oats and molasses for it's final 3 mos.

Keep in mind this is one city girl trying to ask farming questions to another city girl :smack

Does that feed sound appropriate? I asked if it was on pasture and then my phone died so not sure. But she did say the feed bill was only going to be $100....so I am ASSuming that it must be on pasture becasue 3 mos worth of oats and molasses has GOT to be more than that.

Help?

Other info:$800 total due Jan 3 for the animal (divided between us) $1 (assuming per pound) butchering and $100 for feed.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have not heard of anyone charging for the feed. Usually that is why the cost per pound is a little higher. The cost per pound is hanging weight, so you loose in the cutting stage. bone is heavy in those buggas. I'll dig up my invoice for my cow and lambs and see what I can come up with for you on the break down. I don't know off the top of my head. I believe I was 5.00 per pound and I split my cow with a friend. Don

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Don :D

One of my biggest questions is about the oats and molasses....is that ok? Bad? Normal?

Any other questions that I should be asking before i dive in?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I don't know about these things, but I asked E because he's done it before.

He said never heard of feeding molasses and oats - he said they need hay/grass or they'll get a twisted stomach and die.

He's never heard of charging for the feed, that's usually included in the cost per pound unless you have part owner ship in the cow. If you own 1/2 the cow, then (lets for scenario sake you own half a cow and we own the other half) you'd be expected to pay 1/2 the feed costs WHILE the cow was being raised up to butcher. At time of butcher, we'd expect you'd pay 1/2 butchering cost and 1/2 the cost of having the cow transported to be butchered, unless one of the cow owners owned the trailer, then gas for transport would be split.

At least that is how my husband always did it.

He said there's nothing to raising a cow for butcher. Stick it out on pasture in the summer, make sure it has plenty of water and grass....and winter time, hay and thawed water.

hope that helps. Sorry I rambled a bit.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Dace said:
Thanks Don :D

One of my biggest questions is about the oats and molasses....is that ok? Bad? Normal?

Any other questions that I should be asking before i dive in?
Ernie said to make sure you get everything in writing, and make sure you know if you're getting a full half a beef or a whole beef or a quarter beef.

Ask them if they're grain fed beef or grass fed beef.

Get in writing how much you are paying per pound.

Tell them you want to see the weight slip at the time of butchering so you know what the hanging weight is, and that's with bones and everything, so you'll know approximately what you'll be paying for your share by weight.

Make sure you have the phone number and address to the place they are going to use for the butchering, so you can verify if needed.

He's stuck his nose in a TV show now, so I'm not getting anymore information from him until later....lol

OH, and he said that a cow can't survive on just oats and molasses, but we give what we call "chop" as a treat once an evening, to keep ours tame. Chop is a mix of oats, corn, molasses, and some other grains (can't remember them all) and graining them puts fat on them fast (which is why grass fed is better IMO).

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Dace said:
Other info:$800 total due Jan 3 for the animal (divided between us) $1 (assuming per pound) butchering and $100 for feed.
OK, Ernie and I don't understand this part.

$800 to buy a cow??? and then you have to pay $100 to feed the cow for 3 months???

He says he thinks that's a rip off. He says to check and see if you have a Farm & Dairy paper in your area, and check prices on beef cattle in it.

Ernie wants to know how much this cow weighs right now. If you're paying $800 for a cow, it better be ready to butcher now, NO paying for feeding of 3 months...buy the cow, straight to butcher NOW.

Feed costs up to this point should be included in the price, not on top of the cow cost. Ernie thinks someone's trying to scam a couple "city girls" (no offense!)

Good thread! Ernie and I had a very *heated discussion* over what's going on with your potential beef LOL

Uh...that sounded wrong on so many levels....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think everything is more expensive in Ca. Dace when you get your final cost per pound let me know. Or call T&H Meats and compare. I think the main thing is "Is it grass fed". I don't think the butcher has those. Not cost effective.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow! Quail - great info!!! what was E watching? there is nothing on tv tonite!!!
;-)

Dace is this someone you know??? are they butchering it or taking it (sounds like) somewhere? you can always call the butcher shop and ask them.

i've heard of charging for feed -- but the other charges sound a little hinky. you could also check out craigslist and see what other people are doing. granted everything is more expensive out there... but no reason not to ask. and dont hesitate to email a couple "freezer beef" people and ask what they charge. i've found that most folks are happy to help you figure these things out.

:)

Latest posts