!!! FROST !!!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Certainly nothing to compair to frost (shudder) but it has been strange here too- it's been raining all morning. Usually rain doesn't start til late October.

Have to go find my rain coat and hat. :hide

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks all. I did a much more extensive survey today. Looks like most of the cherry tomatoes are finished. I trimmed a lot of the foliage off them to stress them out and hasten the ripening process. Guess that was a mistake this year. The roma appear to be a little more tolerant of cold. Watermelon and lima beans didn't make it either.
Big Daddy, I have the footprint laid out for a hoophouse that I planned to get up this fall and winter. Mine is only 14x20 but it's enough to extend my season as well as start it a little sooner.
2dream, I never know what to think of the farmers almanac but there are times when it is eerily accurate. Back in 96 we had the same type of summer, cool and wet. Then the winter of 96-97 was cold and snowy so I'm thinking that this could be the same type of winter.
Free, We have low rolling hills here and one of the gardens is at the bottom of one of those hills. I'm guessing that just enough cold air settled into that hollow to give us frost.
Such is life. :rolleyes:

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had a light ground frost. And horse-back-frost ( ha ha, Luna was frosty). It did the Brussels good, so I might look into harvesting a few to try out before taking them all down.