Fruit tree problems

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a huge, old fig tree that has been on the property for probably 20 years or more. Every year we have a bumper crop of figs... except this year. The tree filled up with little green figs and every single one of them (no exceptions) dropped off before ripening.

Then there is a medium sized Satsuma (citrus) tree that is about 5 years old. It has so many fruit that we prop up the branches with lawn chairs. Except this year. It had tons of little green fruit about the size of ping pong balls and every one of them dropped off.

I guess I could (should) get a soil test done, but these are one in the front yard, one about 50 yards away in the backyard and seperated by the house. The only difference I can think of is that in late December / early January we had a "record" streak of below freezing days . 13 days with lows in the teens/20s and highs in the low 30s. Both trees are leafed out and green, no signs of disease, insects or frost damage.

Any ideas?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That cold snapped could have stressed the trees. In Colorado we get blossom freeze issues, but I have never had them start fruit and give up.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
About once every 7 or so years things tend to work out that way around here. I think it's just a natural cycle of rest personally. We didn't have much this year either, but I suspect next year we will have an abundance. Usually happens that way anyway. Or...the cold could have gotten to them. I dunno. That's just my theory ;)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wzilla - if it is "stress" is there anything I can put on them / do to get them ready for spring?

LOL WBF - thanks! That sounds reasonable to me. I just sure am going to miss those Satsumas...about this time of year I'd walk by and grab a couple for a snack.
And I won't even say how much I paid for figs at the store!!! :ep

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My plants seem to deal better with some minerals. Crushed egg shell or oyster shell sprinkled around the base???

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
AL said:
I just sure am going to miss those Satsumas...about this time of year I'd walk by and grab a couple for a snack.
Satsumas are one of the things that I miss most about living on the gulf coast. DANG them things are good! I've got to talk my son into boxing up and sending me some.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
We had late freezes this year, killed all my apple blossoms - so no apples, then we had TONS of rain in June and messed up some of my veggies. :rolleyes: You can't really prepare for those kinda things, if in fact that was the problem for you this year.

I miss our Apples, its so much fun just picking one off the tree..:(

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We never have lots of bees, Lori. I didn't notice significantly more or less.

Frustrating, isn't it Wildsky? We even got way past the blossom stage on to the actual green fruit... and then they just dropped.