fuel storage

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So we've discussed gasoline storage and propane powered generators. It got me thinking about other fuels that store well. I have a tractor that originally came with a kerosene vaporizing apparatus. Does kerosene store well? What about diesel? Does "white gas" (whatever that is) store well?

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
So we've discussed gasoline storage and propane powered generators. It got me thinking about other fuels that store well. I have a tractor that originally came with a kerosene vaporizing apparatus. Does kerosene store well? What about diesel? Does "white gas" (whatever that is) store well?
Two types of white gas. One is Naptha and the other is the stuff non- farm people get at the pumps. Farm folk use colored gas which is white gas with coloring in it. This gas is tax free but can only be used legally in off road vehicles such as tractors. We have to fill up the passenger vehicles with white gas like everyone else. White gas being stored should have a conditioner added to it. Don't really know the recomended shelf life.

I have kept diesel for over a year, but a diesel fuel conditioner should be added every 6 months to keep it in a condtion that won't gunk up the works of whatever is being run on it. I also have a fuel filter on my pump before it goes into the tractor as well. Fuel tanks should be kept out of the sun as the heat degrades the fuel. Kersosene stores well. This is pretty much the limit of my knowledge on this subject.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are you in Canada because here in NC the farm gas amd pump gas is the same color [comes in the same pipeline and delivered in the same trucks]. Sort of a washed out orange now while ir has ethanol in it. The ethanol will attract water from from the air so its keeping time is reduced. Back up North in the bad old days we used to use 8-10 oz of "dry gas" to remove any water that had condensed in the gas tank this was mostly in the spring and fall when the day night temperature varied quite a bit during the day. Now with the tanks being sealed with filters the problem has gone away.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, I am in Canada. The transport police do on occasion stop and check our pickups for colored gas. Big fine if someone uses it for on road vehicles. The tax free stuff is strictly for farm use. The fuel condtioners are designed to remove water caused by condensation which is the # one reason for fuel degradation. Anything you can do to protect your fuel from temp. extremes is good if you want to store it.

justin_case

Power Conserver
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
If you are talking storage for large amounts go with diesel. In my eperience it stores better than Kerosene. The reason is they go the extra to remove sulfur from it, and I am certain they no longer go to the same effort with kerocene In fact kerosene is so bad now I can not burn it in my lamps, it stinks up the house and leaves me coughing.
The best fuel I ever found for storing is low odor paint thinner, it was cheap a few years back, but now the price has gone up big time. I only use it in my alladdins now not in a engine do to the cost, but if money is not a object its the best, just mix in a little oil if your going the burn it in a diesel engine for lubrosity (is that a word) (to lubricate the injectors).

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
Yes, I am in Canada. The transport police do on occasion stop and check our pickups for colored gas. Big fine if someone uses it for on road vehicles. The tax free stuff is strictly for farm use. The fuel condtioners are designed to remove water caused by condensation which is the # one reason for fuel degradation. Anything you can do to protect your fuel from temp. extremes is good if you want to store it.
I had a good laugh this morning It seems our local college is considered to be one of the best for producing Bio fuels. it seems they were selling the stuff without collecting the road use tax And they were caught with a big tank of ethanol without any gas or other agent to make it unfit to drink [basically very pure moonshine] so they now have the ATF to deal with. They will get away with it but some one will lose their job ~gd

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow.

I've been reading that there are distillates and residuals that come out of the various cracking and other refinery-type processes. I've read that kerosene is basically the same as #1 diesel, which is the same as #1 residual oil. I think it's more complicated than that because these residual fuels are all just a mixture of many chemicals (octanes and other linear and ring-shaped hydrocarbons) with certain fuel/viscosity/vaporization characteristics. So there's a lot of wiggle room for what can be sold in each category. This explains the variation that people have mentioned.