Fun time in the pantry

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, maybe my idea of fun is a little warped :p.
DH is away for a week (HE is having his own fun in the big city going to art museums, but I decided I'd rather stay home), so I have been going through the pantry. Since he isn't here I can spread all the jars etc. out on the table and floor, and not worry about having to get them all hidden again by dinner time. I have been, specifically, reorganizing the dehydrated foods. Over time lots of things have been dehydrated, stuck in jars, and put on the shelf - which means that there is no organization, and a number of duplicates. As my pantry area isn't large it makes the overview much better now that a number of half jars have been consolidated, and the jars themselves are more uniform than when it was just a jumble of old jam jars.
I discovered that I have enough dried hot peppers to last me for quite a few years, and also several years worth of dried mushrooms. I found a jar, hidden in the back, from the Great Apple Drying event that took place before we moved to this house - in 2001!!! And they are still just fine, though perhaps a little darker in color. A few of the jars (the jam jar type) were obviously not quite as airtight as I thought, and, while the contents were OK they were just a tad pliable. Some of the peppers, as well as some of the fruit is having another round in the dehydrator right now, before going into jars that can be sealed tighter. And I found that I have far too many small jars that I have saved over the years because I like the shapes. At least half will be heading for the recycling bin at the dump.
I think tomorrow I will tackle the shelf with the jars of beans and pasta :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm working on reorganizing my kitchen. Right now, I don't have a pantry, but getting this done will help.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I reorganized my pantry and even added more shelving. I now have the small hall closet where the Christmas decorations/vacuum cleaner/usual closet junk resides in the crosshairs. I want to move this stuff to another spot and turn the hall closet into food storage. :lol:

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
good 4 u..
its amazing what a good clean can find.. :thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd love to reorganize, but with out house guest sleeping during the day and working at night, it makes housework a smidgen difficult. Maybe after he moves on i will have time to do that. Glad you are getting it done ORchick!!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I'd love to reorganize, but with out house guest sleeping during the day and working at night, it makes housework a smidgen difficult. Maybe after he moves on i will have time to do that. Glad you are getting it done ORchick!!!
I can relate to that! Since DH's cancer he has taken to having afternoon naps, and I don't like to make noise about the house while he is sleeping. Only problem is ... I am not a morning person, and my most productive time is in the afternoon. This is another reason why I am doing the re-organizing now, while he is not here.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love organizing the pantry, one of the only parts of our house that is actually usually in complete order--the rest is in constant flux as we go about our daily routines.

Latest posts