Functional Fitness

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Being adequately physically fit is a challenge for me. I can imagine in an emergency situation, I would be limited. What functional movements do you think are most important for activities of daily living in a SHTF situation?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Beyond basic flexibility? Stamina being able to be on your feet? Steady trigger finger?

Interesting question.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Stamina is an issue for me.

I think grip strength is another area of concern for me, based on how many tasks I ask DH to do because my grip is not strong enough. I can't think of a specific functional goal right now.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Stamina is an issue for me.

I think grip strength is another area of concern for me, based on how many tasks I ask DH to do because my grip is not strong enough. I can't think of a specific functional goal right now.
Stamina I think is the right answer for our house. The wife can help for about 15-20 minutes, then wiped out for hours. Where I need help is food prep, forget the standing at the counter, just cutting up stuff takes its toll

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I work in bursts. My asthma causes me issues. So I tend to take a lawn chair with me when Im doing things. So I can work intensely for 15 minutes then take a 5 minute breather. All depends on how much I stress my lungs.

Doesn't help that I'm too fat. Doctor says I need to fight influences and not eat as much. Thinks my physical ability is fine for my age. Just need diet adjustments.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Stamina I think is the right answer for our house. The wife can help for about 15-20 minutes, then wiped out for hours. Where I need help is food prep, forget the standing at the counter, just cutting up stuff takes its toll
Pacing might help with that type of fatigue. I used to use a HIIT timer app. 3 minutes activity, 10 or 15 minutes rest. Amazing what can get done 3 minutes at a time. I could sustain it for about 2 hours. If I think of the book that taught me how to pace, I will share it. My doctor had recommended it.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Being adequately physically fit is a challenge for me. I can imagine in an emergency situation, I would be limited. What functional movements do you think are most important for activities of daily living in a SHTF situation?
In a real SHTF situation adrenaline kicks in making miraculous results possible.

I had an uncle that was physically disabled and not a large man. When his 250 lb. plus wife passed out in the middle of the street he was able to pick her up and carry her to the sidewalk. Under normal circumstances he could not have picked her up.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thankfully I am healthy! But as I chalk up more years I find the natural effects of body aging gets in my way. Several minutes of stretching every morning helps warm the muscles and improves flexibility, loosens stiffness. I move a lot all day, at work or at home.

Stretching is important for you to feel ready to move.....ready helps with extending stamina.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I work in bursts. My asthma causes me issues. So I tend to take a lawn chair with me when Im doing things. So I can work intensely for 15 minutes then take a 5 minute breather. All depends on how much I stress my lungs.

Doesn't help that I'm too fat. Doctor says I need to fight influences and not eat as much. Thinks my physical ability is fine for my age. Just need diet adjustments.
Coffee helps. I'm back down to my target weight now and feel better.