Garbonzo beans??

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so my DIL gave me a can of Garbanzo beans. Ummmm, what the HECK are these things!??? What does one do with them?? Chic Peas? Ummm, ok...stews? HELP! LOL

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Make hummus.
Drain them, and add to salads.
Look up a recipe for garbanzo bean curry.
Add to soups.

Oh, and did I mention, make hummus :lol:

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hummus:

Ingredients
2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch paprika
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley

Directions
1.Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.
2.Drizzle olive oil over the garbanzo bean mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.

There's many different versions of hummus if you don't like this one. I love hummus with carrot sticks or on crackers.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You don't have to do anything fancy with them. They are great added as a topping to salads. I used to mush them up and make a kind of sandwich spread with them. Can't see why you couldn't use them, as you would any bean (soups, etc.)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto all of the above :)

Hummus is super yummy if you add roasted red peppers and eat with warm or toasted pita bread.

(Oh, and we add cumin to our home made hummus.)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of our family's favorites is "fried chickpeas" This is a wonderful departure from the ubiquitous potatoes, rice or pasta rut.

Pour oil or fat into a frying pan big enough to hold the chickpeas in a single layer- I usually use at least 1/4 cup, you want enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan to a depth of at least 1/8"- and throw in a bunch of minced garlic. Add rinsed canned or cooked chickpeas and saute on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. The peas will gradually get a slightly browned appearance.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped fresh parsley and serve it forth.

I've tried other beans for this recipe and it doesn't work as well. The other beans turned into mush. One of the key things about chickpeas is that no matter how long you cook them, they don't get mushy.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One thing about hummus is that if you have no tahini use a bit of Peanut butter- I had no tahini and wanted hummus one day and so I used peanut butter and about a 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil and it was fantastic.
Or if you like try finely chopped sun dried tomato and Italian herbs and a bit of really finely chopped garlic..
I like to try new things and play in the kitchen.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank's everyone. OK, I don't think I can do the Humus....just sounds like something I wouldn't like. They just seem to sit there in the pantry, mocking me. " HAhahaha, you don't know what to do with us!!!" " You are afraid of us" :tongue I tihnk my DIL did this to me on purpose! LOL