Garlic Please

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I posted this on the Easy Garden site and haven't had a response so will pose the question here.

Anyone have any garlic they can part with? I can't find a supplier to ship before March 8th and I need to plant now if at all possible.

I know - poor planning on my part but what can I say. I can't think of everything. LOL

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I hear your pain- unfortunately, like most I think, My garlic has been in the ground since October. A lot of people over winter it here and harvest in summer or fall.
I hope someone has some- I would think that some nurseries in colder areas might have some that they normally wouldn't send out til later but might if you called and sounded really desperate???
:fl

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I admit I have never been organized enough to plant garlic in the fall, like I am supposed to. So this may be a very dumb question. Why not just go to the grocery store and get some? Do they treat them with sprouting inhibitors? If so, why not look through the pile and find one with a bit of green showing....???

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I tried grocery store garlic too but, yes, it is sprayed with an inhibitor but also almost all of it is from California and certainly not a good plant for lots of places. Gilroy garlic is great but like production tomatos, the home agrdener can do so much better.
But you might try the local coop or a market that sells local produce if you ahve one. I would think that they might have what you need like freemotions says.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I won't give up yet. I have checked and called all the plant places that I have found online. I actually ordered some from Gurneys. They can at least get it here on or around March 8th. So far that is the best I have been able to find.
I am going to Rainbow grocery today. They sell all organic and local produce.
And I promise, next year I will do better. LOL

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I have always planted grocery store garlic with no problems. Maybe rinse it well first? It doesn't grow as big as that from a grower, but you should always plant the largest cloves, regardless.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I found some garlic this morning. Local plant store. They just got it in today. No idea what kind of garlic it is but at least its something. So I am off to plant.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Glad you found some. Mine is in the ground under 11" of snow and ice!

candyd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We have about 3 feet of snow on the ground, there is no planting garlic for me for quite awhile. According to the weather, we are due for another storm on Tuesday.
Enjoy your planting time :)