Garlic

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine weren't indoors. I had to move them because they were where I was putting the bunny pen. Hopefully the new place I put them will make them happier. They multiplied but didn't get big so maybe they just needed better soil.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kOxxx, just wanted to let you know that is a super site,lots of cool stuff, could spend a small fortune.

thanks for posting it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
So glad I decided to plant some this fall. I planted 20 cloves and they've all come up. Crossing my fingers they survive!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've got 2 huge beds of garlic that we planted in the fall. It's our moneymaker at market. The scapes that you cut off are good to cook with also. Cut into pieces and throw into stews or soups for a light garlic flavor - not as strong as the cloves. I read somewhere that a rule of thumb is plant on Columbus day, cut scapes on Memorial day, and begin harvest on 4th of July.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We plant ours before thanksgiving and harvest after summer solstice. Garlic responds to daylength, so it will still grow if you plant it now. It just may not get very big.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds good. We'll have to plant those few cloves of elephant garlic and then get some regular garlic to add to the garden with all this talk of garlic. It is one of the main spices used in our kitchen, it only makes sense to grow it in the backyard. :)

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When you buy garlis at the store be sure and check country of origin. Most garlic sold in the USA is produced in China. Be a informed consumer...read labels!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
We recently purchase a five pound bag of granulated garlic from a company that sells meat processing and sausage making supplies. They have a nice variety of spices in bulk. We are vacuum sealing the spices for longer storage.

The 5 pound bag of granulated garlic is $14.95. Their garlic powder, in the same size bag, is $12.95. We also purchased ground cinnamon for $12.95 in 5 pound bags.

These are the cheapest prices that we have found so far. The company is named Mid-Western .
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

I feed garlic to my horse, goat and chickens in spring/summer, to make the poop less smelly and to put the swarms of mosquito's off a little bit. I normally buy from a horse supply place and their dried granulated garlic is around $20 for 2 pounds!

I dried my own last year, it was messy and took all dang day to get a tiny little bit of it.