Generators

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, so, with all the talk of preparedness for hurricanes and storms, I'd like to discuss how folks prefer to use generators to best effect.

Assuming a short-term situation, maybe 1 week of power outtage, what size generator would you need and what would you power with it? How often would you run it?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a small (3750w) generator, our power has never been out long enough for us to actually use it for this, but my intention is to just keep my freezer going by running it a few times a day. My food in there is the only thing I would really worry about with a week-long outage.

River Runner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
For me, a generator would only be used once a day for an hour or two to keep the freezer cold. I would also use this time to fill the tub with water for the washroom.....other then that we would be ok. We have a 3000 w generator.

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, so....what size recommended for

2 chest freezers, and occasional load of laundry washed (I know I can switch between these uses) and CPap/medical device all night? Would some sort of battery setup for the cpap be better?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
Ok, so....what size recommended for

2 chest freezers, and occasional load of laundry washed (I know I can switch between these uses) and CPap/medical device all night? Would some sort of battery setup for the cpap be better?
Here's some info on generators:How to pick a Generator

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks! Just gotta do some research to find the numbers...

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to runinng off of it. 5,000- 6,000 watts would run a house that is just running lights, a fridge\freezer water pump, a radio or tv . I would keep the light to a few. If you have a electric hot water heater I would turn it off. that would suck the whole 5,000 watts.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We went to one of those "how to pick..." sites. This one little boxes you check for whatever you plan to run, and it gives you a suggested wattage. I think it told us around 2K would do it. We would run the freezer, as everybody else, charge our cel phones and at least one of the laptops, and a couple fans.
Went to Lowes to check out their generators. Funny how the smallest one they had was still 3000 watts! This place is supposed to be for homeowners, not pros. Oh well, I guess they just sell what the market wants. This goes along with the 6 foot zero turn mowers that homeowners are sure they have to have, along with a 4 ton crew cab truck for dad and a similar size SUV for mom.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather have more power than I need than not enough. ;)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For those who've used generators - is it better for some reason to have it overpowered? So, for example, if you need 2000 watts peak and 700 running watts, is it better to have a generator that creates 1500 running watts and 3000 peak? Some of the generators I've seen have said something like "8 hours at half power". Does that mean it's better to have a higher level generator?