Get Ready For Higher Fuel Bills and More

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
EPA moves to regulate smokestack greenhouse gases

"WASHINGTON The Environmental Protection Agency took steps Wednesday to control the emissions blamed for global warming from power plants, factories and refineries for the first time"

Link to story here .

Maybe not on the scale of the "Cap and Trade" bill, this will none the less cause the cost of most things produced in the U.S. to go up. I'm not saying that the regulation of green house gasses is necessarily a bad thing. Only that the increased costs of manufacturing, especially in the energy industry, will be passed along to the consumers. I do believe though, it could have been done at a better time, ie., not in the middle of a deep recession.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope they don't try to regulate the smoke coming from my stack. I've got lots of it from the end of October through March or April. :)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
It is all hogwash, what is good for the goose has to be good for the gander too - cap and trade is worthless, they have been doing that for decades with no results and are just repackaging it for the eco-terrorists. Detroit has been under order to get the "fleet" mileage up and so now sells two $10,000 cars at no profit that gets 35 mpg so they can sell two SUVs at 15 mpg for $40,000, the fleet mileage is 25mpg so the EPA is all happy and looking at big oil for a Christmas bonus.

The same goes for dirty stacks, everybody should have to conform. Just because I go above and beyond to conserve doesn't give someone else the right to ignore their responsibilities just because they have deep pockets.

And yes unclejoe there are more and more communities restricting fireplaces and wood burners because the smoke is becoming a nuisance - mostly because the poor people can't afford the $3000 ultra efficient soap stone wood burners.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think I need to worry to much... yet. We're a couple miles from any development and most of the folks near us burn wood. :)