Getting rid of bees… The wrong way (Though it worked)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter's meme in Calista's thread HERE, reminded me of this house that burned out back in 2012. It was just down the road from where we lived at the time.

A bank repossessed this (previously thatch roofed) house and put some guys in it to "look after the place". A swarm of bees moved into the chimney, so one bright spark house sitter doused a cloth in gasoline, lit it and shoved it into the chimney... The top of the chimney... The remains of the thatch roof can be seen in front of the remains of the house.

No-one got hurt (in the fire anyway) and the bees are gone. The house got repaired in full and beautifully restored in the process, about a year after the fire. We were very happy to see that is this is one of the oldest houses in the region (over 100 years old, which is old by South African standards).

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How did he get to the chimney on a thatch roof? I can just picture it now... He guys watch this... I'm gonna get rid of those killer bees once of all.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
How did he get to the chimney on a thatch roof? I can just picture it now... He guys watch this... I'm gonna get rid of those killer bees once of all.
It's been a few years now, but if memory serves, he soaked a cloth in some flammable liquid and used a long stick to get it to the top of the chimney. (My guess is from outside the house) I guess no-one thought of making a fire in the fire place and letting the smoke deter the bees…

Latest posts