Getting Started With 25K? Need Suggestions

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Get a used FEMA trailer to camp in.....which you can always sell later. Then you can concentrate on just the land and setting up some farming projects and homesteading. Its the cheapest home I can think of, plus its portable.
How does someone go about finding a used FEMA trailer? How much does something like that sell for?
Just wondering.

G

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Doesn't really have to be a FEMA trailer. Right now folks are unloading travel trailers because money is short and tis the season for folks to be shopping for them. They can be found on Craigslist for very reasonable prices. If you shop around, you can often find nice slightly older models for in the neighborhood of 5K or less. BUT, you HAVE to shop around, and when you look for them, ALWAYS have someone crawl up top and check the roofing for dry rot or roof damage from limbs, and the inside for signs of leaks. No matter what ANYBODY tells you, absolutely ANY sign of water leakage, is a automatic deal breaker, no matter how good a shape the rest of the thing is in! I wouldn't get a super old one that has been sitting up, or a "fixer upper" for that reason. It's just too much headache trying to fix water problems in such small spaces. When we bought one, we got a 2 year old model, and paid 15K but that was before the economy hit decline. Look for the ones with slide outs that increase living space and they are fairly easy to adapt to and live in on a temporary basis. We had two large dogs, three kids, and two adults comfortably in our 30 footer that had a super slide. We stayed in it for months on end during the summer, and loved it! Longest stint in it was 6 months with all of us in there, and it was a bit nervewracking at the end, but we managed to get through without any murders :lol: If it was just me and DH, I'd happily live in one! You can get your whole "house" clean in 45 minutes :p

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
South/Westerns VA is cheap. Stay out of MD, too many stupid laws. VA has its share of stupid laws, but not like MD does. West Virginia is also cheaper, too. Eastern TN can call in the cheaper category, as well, depending on what you're interested in.
Best of luck. We're in the hunt now, too, though you're way ahead of us in the savings department!!!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My SIL bought 4 or 5 FEMA trailers, but not sure where from. Somewhere in MS. I'd look in southern and eastern states. But I'd do a google search on it. There is a FEMA trailer in my yard that SIL put for MIL to have her own place. I'm fixing on buying it from them. I think they paid, slightly over 3,000 for it. I want to use it as a guest home. But WBF is right. You have to check it out good. We did have some headache to deal with. We were lucky though. BIL changed an electrical part, which costed over 200 and then the whole trailer worked. We did have to seal up a few leaks. Maybe walk thru the trailer, with a blow dryer, trying each plug.