Gift ideas for wanna-be stay-at-home first-time mom?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

:gig

And do you have a version that will work on German mother-in-laws?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
punkin said:
Sorry, laughed myself silly. Not a mother out there who hasn't had some sort incident. If there is, she has a Nanny.
......and she doesn't know about it.....

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Maybe a book on making baby food yourself...there are a lot of them out there now. Just don't include any of Jenna's apple juice!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made my own wipes, I see you have a recipe for that. How about some baby food recipes or a little hand made booklet with some SS tips and recipes.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking I SHOULD include Jenna's apple juice recipe!!!

So, who has more baby food ideas? The booklet is a good idea!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
homestead jenna said:
I would recommend this book that was my life-saver when I had kids in the 80's (well, I had the original one):

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Alman...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232995125&sr=8-1

This is a very down-to-earth, extremely practical book with lots of information and experiences. Probably the best thing I took away from it was to listen to your child...that's your best resource for how to be a mom. It's not just a baby book...it's more like a "family" book in a lot of ways.

This is the book from which I learned to make baby food at home....

warning!
:-:-:-:-:-ANOTHER JENNA STORY FROM REAL LIFE-:-:-:-:-:

My son was old enough for vegetables in October and I had a pumpkin that I spent maybe 4 years cooking in the oven (not really but it seemed like it). I carved out the pumpkin and spun it in a blender with some apple juice and dutifully divied it into ice cube trays to make handy 2-oz servings. Since I had done this in the morning I reserved some for his lunch.

Now - you must understand that my son was in the "active" category of newborns. The child didn't sleep much at all. It was all I could do to keep him entertained...but I think that's why he has such a practical frame of mind now...because I simply carted him from oven to washer to broom to grocery store to wherever with me all the time, propped him in one of those icky plastic proppy baby seats that were the thing then and did my thing.

Well, anyway - it got to be lunch time and after that nap time (yeah, it sounds like I had a schedule, now, doesn't it?). I fed him the pumpkin and laid him down for his nap...and the kid slept so long I had to go in there and make sure he was still breathing! A three-hour nap - unheard of - but I must admit...oh-so-welcome.

The next day at lunch I served him pumpkin again...and again he snoozed a monster naptime. I didn't know what was going on....unTIL....I ran my finger around the pumpkin bowl.

AGAST! HORROR! WHAT HAD I DONE!!!!! CALL THE AUTHORITIES!!!

Apparently the apple juice I had used for yonder Sleeping Baby's pumpkin was - in the vernacular - Kentucky Stump-Blower. It had turned alcoholic! (which gives you some idea of my LACK of scheduling and/or general mothering abilities!). No small wonder the kid was snoozing...he was sleeping it off!

As I raced to the freezer to out the wicked liquored-up pumpkin, my mind raced ahead to visions of his stumbling out of a bar at age 4, panhandling at 12, and then living in a gutter. And did I damage his brain? Would I live to regret this foolish act?

But...and this is selfish but true...I HATED tossing out all those little pumpkin cubes that could give me a break from this high-octane kid every afternoon.

What you people must think of me...... :caf
:gig :gig :lol: :lol:

Oh Ohhh I NEED that recipe!! I have one that should be taking NAPS period! Not just 3 hours naps...LOLOLOLOL

Not to hijack, but your story reminded me of a time I was 10, and the first time (of only 3 times in my life) that I got drunk...purely by accident!

I wanted grape juice. Mom always kept it out in the garage until it was opened. We kids tended to help ourselves and put newly opened bottles in the fridge. Once I remember opening a bottle, topping off a glass, and telling mom it tasted funny. She assured me it was fine, so I finished off my glass, pretty quick I might add. I was quite tipsy and complained of a stomach ache the rest of the day.

Mom went to get the offensive and overly ripe refreshment, took a whiff, and doubled over laughing. The grape juice apparantly had been in the garage for several months and had fermented!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Want the recipe for homemade teething biscuts? My kids loved them, ds#2 even ate them when I started making them for dd & he was 7/8. they are very simple & quick to make too.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely! Any recipes you have will be put into the booklet, ideas, stories, anything will be appreciated....I know she is not fanatical about her diet like I am, so I will not censor recipes (unless they contain trans fats, then I will simply replace the crisco or margarine with good fats.)

All ideas welcome!!!

eta: I will be copy/pasting to Word, so will be happy to e-mail the results to anyone who contributes! or just needs it!