1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Homemade weed killer - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Ginger beer - double batch with 5th generation ginger bug

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by CrealCritter, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Apr 22, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Saturday evening i brewed up a double batch of ginger beer. This is the 5th batch with my original ginger bug yeast strain. I was a little concerned about pitching my saved yeast into a double batch, 6 gallons of wort + 2 pints of ginger bug juice. But after a slight lag of about 36 hours, I'm happy ginger bug alive and is reproducing and happy fermenting. My ginger bug was home grown, you can't just go out and buy a package of ginger yeast, like you can with bread, beer, wine, spirits...

I have no idea how many generations, I could expect to see from my original culture of ginger bug. This is the 5th generation, I suspect as long as I continue to treat it right, it may last indefinitely, it seems rock solid, very forgiving and quite resilient so far.
    IMG_20190422_112236597.jpg

sumi likes this.
  2. Apr 22, 2019
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

The bug that just keeps on giving :) Looking good so far!

CrealCritter likes this.
  3. Apr 22, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

It'll be interesting to see how long you can keep it going!

CrealCritter likes this.
  4. Apr 23, 2019
    CrealCritter

This is perhaps the most active ginger bug ferment yet. Its putting a bubble through the air lock about once every 1/2 second. Although It had a long lag, it took off nicely after that.

A couple of things, I've learned about brewing ginger beer with ginger bug yeast.

1) There's no malt, so it's a ultra clean no krausen type of ferment.

2) Fermentation produces a tiny bit of sulfur dioxide, but that clears off after a few days of active fermenting, leaving behind a nice floral aroma. The aroma become more like a floral bouquet once its bottled and fully carbonated.

3) Only ferment 1 week or perhaps 1 week and a few days longer in the primary, then bottle. No need to do a secondary fermentation because it clears nicely, in just the primary. Its not going to be entirely clear no matter what you do. Unless you kill off the yeast, which totally defeats the the purpose of making it to begin with.

4) I highly suggest if your going to make some of this ginger beer. Bottle in plastic pet bottles because when the bottles get hard you know they are carbonated and ready to put them all in the refrigerator to drink and enjoy. Refrigeration slows the fermentation down to a crawl, thereby producing less CO2 and less chance for explosion in the same amount of time. Else left on their own like on a kitchen counter. I'm 100% certain the bottles would carbonate so much that they would explode, making a huge mess. They might still explode even after refrigeration, so just be aware and maybe occasionally twist the bottle cap slowly to allow some C02 gas to escape. Keep in mind that it is alive and in a confined space (plastic pet bottle).

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  5. Apr 25, 2019
    CrealCritter

Day 4 - still percolating like an old school coffee pot
    IMG_20190424_200421123.jpg

sumi and frustratedearthmother like this.
  6. Apr 25, 2019
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

Hang on... I'm not seeing the raisins?!?

;)

7. Apr 30, 2019
    CrealCritter

Day 7 - We bottled up 48 pints plus 4 pints of what my daughter is calling mother. Mother being, ginger beer that's bottled without blueberry priming sugar to use as a starter for the next batch. My son in law and daughter are going to be making her own since I gave them a 5 gallon big mouth bubbler pet carboy, lid, bung and airlock.

Day 9 - here is one of the pints in a pet pint bottle. I didn't shake it, as a matter of fact I carried it very carefully. Its developed a foamy head right in the bottle. I'm almost afraid to open it and have a steaming ginger beer mess on my hands. I guess I'll open real slow -:lol I have it in the refrigerator now to get cold before sampling.
    IMG_20190429_212754036_TOP.jpg