Given to me

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just got given to me a empty used 1 time 60 gallon french oak wine barrel complete with bung and faucet. I just need to go pick it up.

Now I wonder, what could I do with it... Well fill it with wine of course :)

I can't believe it, these things are expensive... $900.00 to $1200.00. I guess people like my wines to give me a barrel to age in.

60 gallons of wine is a lot of wine. I better step up my game to fill the barrel.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just got given to me a empty used 1 time 60 gallon french oak wine barrel complete with bung and faucet. I just need to go pick it up.

Now I wonder, what could I do with it... Well fill it with wine of course :)

I can't believe it, these things are expensive... $900.00 to $1200.00. I guess people like my wines to give me a barrel to age in.

60 gallons of wine is a lot of wine. I better step up my game to fill the barrel.
One day we will be reading about CC's fine wine and buying some at our favorite wine store. Always wonder what your wine tastes like so, for now, I will continue to use my imagination.:drool

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
be careful you don't get over the limit! 60 gallons is about 1/3... don't want the revenooers coming!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
be careful you don't get over the limit! 60 gallons is about 1/3... don't want the revenooers coming!

That thought was in the back of my mind already...

How Much Wine Can I Make Legally? It's the same amount as for beer. An individual adult can make up to 200 gallons of wine a year for personal use if there are two or more adults in the household. And you can make up to 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult.

I've already had a number of people ask me about buying some of my beer and wines. I have to explain that I can't sell it. Both wine and beer is so easy to make, I'm very surprised more people don't make their own.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you have to be of the right mind for making things like that. i could do it and have in the past and the ex-step-dad used to make the limit each year in wines of various kinds. Mom would not be a good person for trying to do it. she just doesn't have that kind of patience. we are short of space here so it just doesn't work. i'm not getting rid of my worm farm to start brewing, but i enjoy seeing what you're doing. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
you have to be of the right mind for making things like that. i could do it and have in the past and the ex-step-dad used to make the limit each year in wines of various kinds. Mom would not be a good person for trying to do it. she just doesn't have that kind of patience. we are short of space here so it just doesn't work. i'm not getting rid of my worm farm to start brewing, but i enjoy seeing what you're doing. :)

Probably wise, I don't think worm farms are regulated yet, except for sales tax. You know the gov has got their hands in everyone's pocket.