Gluten free French Onion soup

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I love love love French onion soup and just read a great way to make it GF is to use a portobello mushroom in place of the bread under the cheese. Pop it under the broiler to cook the mushroom and brown the cheese and Voila! Anybody ever made it like that?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't, but it sounds pretty darn good.

Our favorite onion soup is Walkabout Soup clone recipe, but it's got flour in it to thicken. Since I'm not GF, I don't know if there's anything else in there that you couldn't eat -

Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup

4 servings

2 cups yellow sweet onions, Thinly Sliced
2 tablespoons butter
1 (15 ounces) can chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper, Ground
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/4 cup Velveeta cheese, Cubes, Diced, (compressed in measuring cup)
1 1/2-1 3/4 cups white sauce (Below)
cheddar cheese, Shredded (for garnish)

White Sauce:
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk

In 2 quart sauce pan place 3 tablespoons butter and sliced onions.
Cook at low to medium heat stirring frequently until soft and clear but not brown.
Add chicken broth from can, chicken bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and stir until completely heated through.
Add white sauce and Velveeta cheese. White sauce will be thick because it has been remove from the heat. Simmer on medium low heat until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly.
Turn temperature to warm and let cook for additional 30 min. to 45 min.

Thick White Sauce:
In a 1 quart sauce pan melt butter and add flour, cook on medium heat until the flour turns thick and comes away from the side of the sauce pan.
Pour milk in flour a little at a time and stir constantly, add salt. Mixture should thicken and become like thick pudding.
Remember to stir constantly taking care not to let mixture lump, set aside off from heat until ready to use for the soup.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I am confused :lol: Bread under cheese in the soup?
Every time I have eaten onion soup, it has never had that in it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A lot of fancy schmancy places will have a giant toasted crouton with melted cheese on it, floating on the onion soup. I like it plain better, but it's still good.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I am confused :lol: Bread under cheese in the soup?
Every time I have eaten onion soup, it has never had that in it.
Uh huh, slice of hearty bread or a crouton. Soup goes into an individual sized oven proof crock, then you float the bread and cover that with gruyere or swiss type cheese. Put it under the broiler to melt and brown the cheese. (It's all about the cheese!)