Goat cheese question...again

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So I finally made my goat cheese.....it is good but the mouth feel is not what I was hoping for.

I like a nice rich creamy mouth feel, mine is sort of dry. I assume this has to do with the fat content of the milk. Am I right?

Is there anyway to play with it to make a richer creamier mouthfeel? Like maybe add some heavy cows cream? I know the protein and fat structure are different so I don't know if that works.

Any ideas?

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know. My attempt at goat cheese was a bit of a failure (well, a lot of a failure really, but then, I was making halloumi, and that's more of an intermediate cheese, and I'm still a beginner.) I've made a "cream cheese" from regular cow's mik "farmer"s cheese" by giving it a good whipping with a fork while the curds were still a little damp. You might try whipping a small amount of your goat cheese with a bit of goat cream or milk, and it might make a creamier texture. I'm not sure of your method or recipe, but perhaps it was drained too long as well. That would also make it dry.

:idunno

Good luck! Hopefully someone has a better answer than I. :p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Neko.
My local cheese lady said....don't hang it so long ( I didn't let it drain very long, but I did squeeze it because I am impatient.) and that I could add a little heavy cream to fatten it up a bit and hopefully get the rich texture that I crave. I'll update later after I try it.

I also made a ricotta from the whey, which tastes like.......

Goat cheese.

Duh.

I gots a lot to learn.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You and me both. I hope to master mozzarella cheese before I move on, but I would love to learn how to make things like brie/camambert, sharp/aged (typically called "tasty" down here) cheddar, and things like parmesan, or manchego. I just love cheese. I'm a psycho cheese nut. :p

The local brewing shop has cheese kits as well. I plan to get another from them once I've used up the first kit.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am going to try mozzarella soon....supposedly I have a no fail recipe. I hope to get to it this weekend. I will post the recipe if it works well.

Cheese making is awesome....I just love learning new skills!

I also have a cheddar recipe that I tasted a young sample of (3weeks) and it was pretty good. It should really age for up to 3 mos.....I am excited about this one, but I need to get a little wine frig to store the cheese in first.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you guys sell your cheese?
I saw goat chesse 8oz for $3 on craigs.Is that a good deal?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I don't sell it, this was my first time to make it.

I am not sure about buying it off of CL....I would want to know more, do they own the goats? What are the conditions? Etc.

So I added a little heavy cream to my cheese and it did improve the mouthfeel.

I made a few flavors-
Lemon zest w/fresh thyme - really good!
Mashed blackberry w/ homey - delish!
Fire roasted homegrown chile with green onion and jack cheese....it was supposed to be a cheese ball, but I put little dollops on chips and nuked it, made awesome nachos.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mm, sounds great. :D

And no, I don't sell my cheese, being just a beginner as well. I know a german couple who makes theirs though, it's good stuff. However, cheese on craigslist? I wouldn't get it, even if it was a good price. I'd want to know stuff not only abut their methods and animals, but things like "Are they licensed to sell?" etc, because there's a reason why there's regulations.

Latest posts