Goat has scabs around her eyes *PIC

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Malory has these scabs that circle her eyes. Her eyes are not infected and are not cloudy, but they are runny. It doesn't seem to itch her at all and the missing hair isn't present anywhere else other than her eyes.

I've read it could be mange, but given that the missing hair isn't anywhere else and no one else is bothered by this, I'm not convinced that's what it is.

Her lids are pink, no temperature, and fine in all other ways.

I also red that it may be a copper deficiency, so I'm going to bolus her.

Any other thoughts/suggestions? Here are a few pictures - it's the best I could get

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0585.jpg

DSCN0578.jpg

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
pink eye you can get meds for it at the local feed/co op stores(cant remember the name of it)........ may want to consider treating the rest of the herd as well

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This doesn't seem to be presenting itself as pink eye either. Her eyes are not cloudy and pink.

It is possible, though...

I have LA200 on hand but I'm unsure if I should use it. I hate to give them all something if they don't need it.

I also have some eye ointment left over from another goat who had a hay sticker...I'll try putting that in her eyes and see if it helps.

This is really just around her eyes, not really in them.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My vote is on copper deficiency. It's sometimes called "spectacle disease" because it appears as white circles around the eyes (like the goat is wearing glasses).

Here's a link to one article mentioning it:

http://www.kinne.net/cu-def.htm

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you think copper deficiency would also lead to scabs where the hair is missing? At any rate, if it is she got bolused on Saturday so that will hopefully help soon.

I'm just not sure what this is. I really don't think it's pink eye - there are no other classic symptoms other than draining. I wouldn't even call it discharge - her eyes just drain from time to time. As the day progresses she gets better and her eyes don't drain as much. FWIW, her right eye lids also look swollen but decrease in size during the day. Maybe closing them at night irretates what ever's going on.

I was watching her blink the other day too. Her left eye sort of pops open a lot exposing the lower inner lid when she blinks on that side - the best way to describe it would be comparing it to how we blink if we wear contacts and one is really dry or irretated. Kind of like you blink then open your eyes wide and roll them a little...except she doesn't roll her eyes, just blinks and opens the lids really wide.

I gave her 2 doses of an eye ointment yesterday and made sure to get the ointment both inside the lower and upper lids and smeared a bunch on the crusty outsides. At the evening dose it seemed to me that her eyes were a little better, but of course they normally do in the evening. I wasn't able to get a look this morning but will let you know what she looks like when I get home.

Erinreneedahl

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Hello, my goat is presenting with the same problem. Draining from both eyes, loss of hair and scabbing beneath the eyes as well. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

Latest posts