Goat knappers in Oregon!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night while fixing supper the news was on and I had to do a double-take.....they were saying someone outside of Portland knapped some farmers goat. The goat was found several miles away unharmed & was returned to owner.

The story was reported more as a 'on the lighter side' and really was kinda funny...but it could also indicate something more serious. So Oregonians better keep a tight grip on your animals!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
My grandmother had a news clipping about two of my great great uncles being arrested for "Goat Rustling" (I won't even mention the ones in the bootlegging business). So, it seems that I come from a desperado background. Hmmm, I wonder if I have any relatives in Oregon?...

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm just glad it was found safe & sound!! :) People nowadays, ya just never know....

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's been happening over here for a couple/few years now.

There was even a write up in the news paper about a family that it had happened to twice.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Are they sure it just didn't get out? Kinda funny, maybe some kids?

g
No the goat WAS stolen, and since it was reported as tongue-in-cheek it may well have been an older kids prank since a vehicle was used.
I tried to find the story on the news station website, but couldn't find anything about it. The reporters were making it as a joke, but I wasn't sure if the story itself was some joke or just the reporters view of someone stealing a goat. :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I would be devastated if one of my goats went missing, even for a few hours. The stress on a goat, especially if already fragile for some reason (late pregnancy, worm burden, recent health crisis, heavy lactation, etc.) can become life threatening.

Plummy escaped last winter and spent some time outside in the dark and I didn't know it until the neighbor went to turn off the outside light around midnight and she was standing up on his door, looking in the window, desperate to get in somewhere and out of the cold, scary night. I was in knots for a long time after that, and I didn't know she was gone until she was back in my fence and the neighbor came and told me!

Poor little goatie. If it was a dog there would be an uproar. :/

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm leaning toward "more serious" also.. the '"They're like 'oh, we're just gonna take it to a party - we'll bring it back by the morning' and we're just like, 'no you aren't.'" is kinda sick and wrong.

there was a case around here with some jerky jerks (and when i say that you know i really mean something that i cant say here) were just gonna have some fun ....but horribly abused, tortured, and killed someone's goat.

fences and gates people... fences and gates. and a mean gander. and big dogs. and some hell yeah. that all i'm sayin.