Goat question....calm my nerves!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last weekend, my Alpine Suzie gave birth to 2 little ones. A doeling and a buckling. Everything went smooth...quick...and I was relieved. My fear is...before she had the kids, when I put her feed in, she would gobble it up ASAP! Now, her breakfast will last her all day...sometimes at dinnertime, she still has some left. Also, I noticed today, her bags are SUPER FULL! Should I milk some off and freeze it?Does it still have colostrum in it 4 days after giving birth? Her udders are HUGH, I am afraid she will get milk fever.....do goats get milk fever!??

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wish I could help, I just got my feet wet. I hope someone will respond soon!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Buff....me too...I am a little worried for her, being so HUGH in milk!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I would milk her. I'm not sure how long they produce colostrum, but I'm thinking 48 hours or so. And, if it does still have colostrum in it, you can always freeze it for just in case.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Deb, I don't want to take to much milk from her...just want to relieve the pressure, right!?? I mean, the kids are drinking...I watch them...but she is producing way more than they can drink...i think.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
From what I understand, the more you milk them, the more they produce. Maybe try milking her at night since the kids are (hopefully) not as active, and not needing to nurse as much.

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi! I haven't been on the forum for a few days, so missed your post til now. How is it going? Do you feel better about your doe? It is normal for her udder to be very large at this point. If it worries you too much, go ahead and milk her some to relieve the pressure. A couple of cups from each side should be plenty and won't effect the amount of milk she's producing. It is also normal for her to be "off her feed" for a while after giving birth. Don't worry, she will get back to normal soon. Then she will want even more than normal so she can keep up with the demand.

At this point, the milk will still contain colostrum. We usually don't drink our milk until the kids are two weeks old. I know some people drink the milk after just one week, but we think it still tastes bad at that point, so wait the two. If you have other animals, they would like the milk, or you can use it for cooking until it tastes better to you.

Alpines are very good milkers, so she might be producing too much for the kids, especially if she has kidded before. If you are planning on continuing to milk her (for you) you should consider separating the kids at night at the two week mark, so you can milk first thing in the morning, then let the kids run with her during the day. That way her production won't drop too much and you'll still have a lot for you.

Don't worry, she'll (and you'll) be fine!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Colostrum is only produced for the first few days... It's usually about 48hrs, but can be into the third day, and possibly into the fourth.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. I am not sure what I am going to do with her. I am doing the hot compresses, and message, but her udders are super hard! The babies are still nursing....and I milk about a quart from her right side....but, at the top of her udders, right under her but hole....there is a hard knot. Then her left side is super hard. When the babies nurse on the right side, they take a few sips, and stop, like it tastes bad.??