Goat watch, not pregnant but acting she’s laboring

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well y’all I hope everyone is having a good Sunday.
Today I went out and my goat, 8 years old, had some white stuff coming out of her bits and was a little swollen. Figured she’s in heat. Then my mom noticed she’s pretty bagged up. I’ve noticed her udder was a little bit lately, but nothing much. I got a decent look a few minutes ago and noticed wide orrifices too. A little bit later she was stretching and rocking her hips. Now she’s laying down with her neck back grinding her teeth. Then sitting up and breathing heavily, it is hot. As a bonus this is my normally friendly goat, she loves scratches, but yesterday and today she want to be near me but won’t stand me touching her. She’s not too fat, but last time she had a baby she hardly looked pregnant and popped out a huge kid.
Here’s where it gets odd. She’s not been around a billy in 6 or 7 years and I don’t even think my neighbor has a billy. This girl hasn’t escaped or anything to mention either.
Am I just nuts, or does this sound like labor?

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hormones....among other things....could bring her into milk. It's odd, strange, unusual but things happen! I have a mature doe I though pregnant, she's bagging but not as usual. At this point, I'm thinking not bred -- but definately looks it! 🤷 Well fed.

Yesterday acting as if cycling....tail going, vocal and looking longingly at new buck.🤣🤔 He is handsome but...not wanting Jan kids. These goats drive you crazy!!

Let us know what happens.
But hey, isn’t it in the goat handbook to have their kids at the worst, most dangerous, inconvenient time? There’s a rule about it somewhere. Alongside getting trapped where they never have before...when you’re not home.
I think it’s just in their code of ethics.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hormones....among other things....could bring her into milk. It's odd, strange, unusual but things happen! I have a mature doe I though pregnant, she's bagging but not as usual. At this point, I'm thinking not bred -- but definately looks it! 🤷 Well fed.

Yesterday acting as if cycling....tail going, vocal and looking longingly at new buck.🤣🤔 He is handsome but...not wanting Jan kids. These goats drive you crazy!!

Let us know what happens.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tortoise has a point.

HOWEVER. Are you sure neighbor didn't/doesn't have a buck? They're sneaky. If she had a secret date, you'll know in a couple hrs. Otherwise call a vet.

Latest posts