Goat?

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So we are getting a couple goats in about a month, just have to get everything set up here before we go get them. Because we are getting them for dairy, we will of course have kids around every once in a while. We will probably try to sell them, but if we don't get any buyers, we will be butchering. We have never had goat meat before, but I have no problem trying it. Any good recipes?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It makes a really good curry. I brown the meat very fast and hot, then toss in some onions and curry paste or powder for a minute or two, then add broth or water, simmer it very low til it is about two thirds cooked (I find that with goat more than any other kind of meat you REALLY have to be careful never ever to let it boil, just a slow simmer, or it vulcanizes), chuck in some cut up potatoes and carrots and more onions and whatever else I have around, and then when it's done serve over rice or whatnot.

Congrats on the (future) goats! :)

Pat

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I want to get goats as soon as I can convince DH. How much are you paying for your goats?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I raise meat goats for myself only. Over the years I have collected or made up some recipes for goat meat. I personally have come to love it so much that commercially grown beef and pork is pretty tastless to me.
Cuts like shoulder steaks and chops can be cooked like any other meat- my favorite is rubbing with garlic and onion powder and broiling. Grilling is good. I do a lot of stir fries with other pieces as they can be tough if overcook unless you get to the point of falling apart. It is a meat with little fat except fro around the outsides of the muscle (no marbling.) So you need to account for that in your cooking. I used to love lamb but now find it too fatty for my taste.
Just let me know whne you need recipes and I will post what I have. You can also go online to meat goat sites and get some but I like my own better and the same recipes keep showing up on site after site.
If you do dairy, you might think about using a meat goat buck unless you are wanting to breed to increase your own heard. Meat goats generally grown to butchering size faster than dairy and carry more meat. I have never had a goat over 6 mos old butchered but will be having that experience soon.

ldburton

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We butchered a nubian cross doe a couple of years old and cooked it for Easter one year, just baked in the oven, I think. Everyone LOVED it until we told them what it was. Come to think, we haven't had a large crowd for dinner since. haha
I had planned to milk her (she was given to us along with her sister) but she was way to ornery to handle. Her sister was a real sweetheart, though, and we milked her for several years.

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chickn, we are getting two mini-mancha does (well, one doeling), already bred to a mini-mancha buck; for $450.

We mainly want them for milk, but if we are unable to find buyers for the kids, we will butcher them. I am planning to breed to a mini-mancha buck anytime we might be wanting to keep a doeling or two for milk. The younger one of the two we are getting is pretty skittish and while I am hoping she settles in after a while, I am not adverse to keeping a kid that I can raise around us (she was herd-raised for the most part and isn't that comfortable around humans yet). I'll post when I am ready for the recipes! Thanks!

chicknwhisperer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know there are a couple of houses around my area that keep goats and this year I saw about four kids. If I go up to their door and ask if they would sell me a couple if they would look at me funny. lol they would look at their window and see a green mini van covered in DU decals and lab decals hehe.