good article in Mother Earth News

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool article.

I was just reading it to my husband. I mentioned the word locavores and he said, "Does that mean they eat crazy people?" :rolleyes:

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
paint on GOO to make microwave meat dark brown.
I never heard of that.
I sure would never buy that. I would never microwave meat anyway......what's next? scary isn't it.

locavore is a great term, I like it.....eat local only if you can with a few extras. Imagine the impact on global food import if we cut back just some of our purchases. Money stays in our local areas. wow, what a concept....

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
On some web site or another I heard a story of Salmon caught in Alaska being flown to China for filleting then back to New York to be sold. What a waste.
Do What? I sure have heard it all now. Not that this SHOULD surprise me but for some reason it does.

I knew all along I was not the craziest person in the universe

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is crazy about the salmon
what a waste is so true...imagine the fuel to fly that salmon and for what? insanity truly!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I'm sure you all have heard of the proposed cow, hogs and something else fee that the EPA is proposing? A methane discharge fee on livestock. Stupid to make food more expensive.
What they should be taxing is a length of travel tax, although that would be a killer for us here. But maybe it would be an incentive to encourage local manufacturing. We would have cheaper fish and lumber and milk. That's all but maybe it would level the playing field for the US workers.
I can't believe I said the "T" word. Bite my tongue.