Google street view down memory lane

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
For some reason I had the idea this evening to have a look at my old childhood home on street view… I now wish I didn't. It's a completely different street now, from the one I spent 15 years of my life on and around. The wonderful, huge tree in the front yard is gone, along with the one in the back :( Our old house, along with the neighbouring houses, are unrecognisable. Modified, changed, I guess some would say "improved"?

It's been 19 years, I suppose things will change in that time, but this much? Nothing much changed while we lived there, except the odd new family moving in, or out. I wonder how many, if any, of the people we used to know back then are still living there…

Feeling a little sad and nostalgic tonight.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The house I grew up in is rundown now. I was one of 8 kids living in that house, and it never looked tore up like it is now. There are old non-running cars in the yard, paint is peeling, some siding is missing, and the lawn is rarely cut. But I have a big framed picture on my wall of what it looked like when I was a kid. I prefer to remember it the way it was.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I wish I took pictures of the way it was. I am hanging onto my memories though :) Like you, I prefer to remember it the way it was.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dad still owns the 2 little houses I grew up in. I can still view them on google street view...for now. But it is a far cry from the 60's memories.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The house I grew up in doesn't exist anymore. :( The whole neighborhood no longer exists - but it was a wonderful place to grow up!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My childhood home looks almost exactly the same. Except they tore down the stone wall we build by hand!! Grr!

My husband's childhood farm is not as fortunate. The barn is in complete disrepair and the house is not far behind. Bothers him to no end!

Latest posts