Google's listening..?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I went to town with a friend this morning to try and find chicken feed, since our feedstore is closed today. Neither of us knew where the feedstore in the next big town was, so I Googled it on my phone and clicked on the directions to see the map. On the way there we made some idle chit chat about this and that and my friend mentioned the railway we crossed was one he used to walk along as a youngster, so we talked about railway tracks for a bit. Suddenly my phone came to life and I heard the lady's voice that is giving us directions say something about "tracks" o_O Please note, apart from the railway track we crossed before, there was NOTHING on route to with tracks that she needed to point out to us. I held the phone up to my mouth and said loudly "Are you listening to our conversation, Google?"

A few months ago something similar happened when we were driving and my DS asked something about the "Big Bang theory" The phone answered him.

Be careful what you discuss or say when you're using Google's navigation service is all I'm saying...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Or at all when you have your phone on. We were talking about Israel the other day, my phone was in my pocket and then I started getting ads for vacations to Israel. Then we were talking about adoption and I'm now getting ads from adoption services. Super creepy.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know, it is almost scary to think that they are recording us all the time and looking for "key words". They say it is an effort to "make your experience better" but all it is for is their marketing. I used to wonder why all the weird ads would pop up on my computer - then I realized that it was their "tracking" my searches.
My phone can't understand me when I try to give voice commands, it is downright hilarious for anyone with me, but somehow it can understand general conversation??

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, it is creepy! I've done a search on my work computer for things that then start popping up on my home computer. GRRRRR!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Smart phones are creepers for sure... Here's an example type in TIRERACK.COM and
see what ads pop up on this site :) or even better yet. Just say TIRERACK.COM and go to Google and see what ads popup on any click bait site.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have Alexa, only use it for making shopping lists. Sometimes she just starts talking.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have Alexa, only use it for making shopping lists. Sometimes she just starts talking.

ZtacKhz_d.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
agreed! no smart phone for me!!! No locator on my device! and I block the ads because they're so dang creepy!!! Once I was talking to a friend in private FB message. She mentioned enchiladas for supper at her house and the next day I started getting ads on FB for mccormick enchilada spice packets. :eek: We stopped using FB for messages after that!!!