got a nice buck Saturday!!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
So I went out and sat in my stand behind the house Saturday evening around 3:30 and at 5:15 in walked big boy....we had never seen this deer on our property before and after texting my husband to make sure it was okay to shoot him I took a shot and dropped him. It was so dark that I couldn't see the brow tines in the binoculars but I could see that his rack was outside his ears and that's our criteria to shoot a buck on our farm. Hubby had seen a nice 6 pointer and let him walk twice so I wanted to make sure he was okay with me shooting him first. When I got up to him I realized he had small mismatched brow tines with a kicker on the shorter one that was long enough to be a scorable point so that made him a 9 pointer! He was all swollen up and rutting and was a good body size. We got 3 bags of tenderloin, 4 bags of roasts, 1 bag of steaks, and around 25 lbs of ground meat off this deer. I'm saving the head to do a skull mount.

460_100_7410.jpg

460_100_7412.jpg

460_100_7411.jpg

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great job Lori! Beautiful animal, and lots of good eats. Congrats!

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Way to go girl... :ya I have yet to harvest anything with more than 8 points. Some good eatin' there.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Nice. You know (and all you other hunters out there) that you can get a lot of edible meat off the ribs and even off the neck of buck in rut if you do it right.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yep Dac, we usually get all the big stuff off and then go back and cut a lot of the little pieces and rib meat off to grind. If we have anything with too much tendon or membrane running through it we give it to the dogs or the chickens or both. My mom loved neck roast when my dad got a good buck in rut....We try to get as much meat off as possible, especially now that we have a grinder.

Latest posts