Got a stove....

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
*hope this is in the right spot! lol*

Ok, so yesterday I went to an estate auction, thinking there were just going to be some hand tools, and maybe a few other things (most of which I didn't need). The sale bill in the paper outlined tools, lots and lots of tools, and very little else. HA! I arrive and much to my surprise, it was 3 different estates, and the building was full, not to mention stuff outside, both front and back!

So there I was, running frantically between 3 different auction rings, trying to get stuff cheap, and trying to get what I wanted. I think I lost 10 pounds just doing that. Anyway, there was a stove there. It was a gas stove, and was an old style Magic Chef. (I'll post pics when I get it home). It is shaped like an 'L', with 2 ovens on the left, stacked; and on the right are 4 burners (those get covered by a 'by-fold' cover (hinged in the back), and under the controls on that right side is the warming drawer. There is NO rust on the inside, the burners looked great, and the paint (cream/green) was almost perfect. The wooden handles on the oven doors and the drawer show the smooth, worn look of a stove well used. It was definitely taken care of.

So, I figured that given the auction company, and some of the people there that this appliance would go for no less that $200. I wanted to be in that ring when it sold, but also wanted to be at another ring to buy 2 cast iron skillets. I got the skillets ($4 for both!) and missed the stove. :( So I asked around as to what it went for....can you believe only $30???? I was floored! I found the man who won it, and asked if he would be willing to resell it to me. I was prepared to go to $50. He said he had to talk to his wife, but would get back to me.

About 15min. later, I had the stove.....for.....

*drum roll please*.....

$35!!!!! :woot :ya :clap :weee

I couldn't believe it!! So today, I am going to borrow the neighbor's truck and get it....I'm so excited!! After looking on eBay, there was one identical to it with a current bid of $50, reserve not met. They say its 1940's, and from other research, I suppose they are correct. I need to maybe go to the Magic Chef site and see if they show vintage stoves.

We also have decided to turn a back room into a 1940s (if thats what it is) style kitchen, for summer use (canning) and decorative in the 'off' season. So if anyone has any decorating yet functional ideas please let me know!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Very nice indeed. I looked up the one on eBay, and it's neat looking. I've never seen one of those before. Congrats!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SO COOL
what a great day you had at the auctions and you got the stove!
You must be smiling big right now! Great price! Feels good when we have great days like that!!!!!!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:woot SCORE!! Pictures please, and you know, I may just have the instruction book that came with it. Let me look at home.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Man...serious stove envy!!!! I simply love those old stoves...especially the cream and green ones. Be interesting to find out what its worth as a vintage collectible item.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great bargains! I love those old stoves and I think they go for a LOT more than that around here. I am certain I have seen them listed for hundreds of dollars in The Trader.