Got it free - whatever it is??

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
milkman’s daughter’s “free wood” thread in the DIY forum has spurred me to try starting another thread. I hope its theme will encourage others here to post.:frow

I shared my story of finding a compressor air tank for free at the local recycling bin parking lot. If anyone missed it and is interested, that’s here: https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/a-small-reclamation.15371/

Only a few weeks later I found two good-quality folding “festival chairs” (like you might sit in at a picnic or fall fair), abandoned in fine condition in that same parking lot.

In the past I also mentioned that we found three up-to-date compact ceramic heaters in like-new working order parked on the road shoulder for the taking, and the heaters have been quite handy for warming plants in chilly-night circumstances. (It’s the custom in my region to leave things you don’t want, but might be useful to someone, on the road shoulder.)

One day, I found several very useful things in one stroke at the bigger recycling center’s free shed, including a shop-style power strip (11 grounded 120v outlets) worth $50. This was at the actual valley recycling center.

I’m glad and thankful for it, but I dunno why some people just up and cast such useful things off! I’m also grateful for cheap yard-sale finds like the great splitting maul in decent shape I got for $5, that would have cost 10x as much in our local hardware stores. But in the latter case, at least the person who’d owned it got something $-wise out of the transaction.

Anyhow, care to relate or reminisce about your free finds? :caf

Last edited:

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got a 1000 water tank for free today. A company my friend works for was getting rid of it :). Getting that in the trailer and transporting it was fun

20200521_174820.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well... Our barn was free! DH just had to tear it down and relocate it all. The flooring we just got to redo our bedroom was free. We have a lot of stuff that was free... I can't even begin to list it all. DH is really good at finding free useful things. Too good... There's potentially useful things everywhere and I can't escape them all! Lol!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But buying couches...it never occurs to me. I've never bought a tv before. A lot of stuff I have is from my grandparents and parents, and even if things are mis-matched (looking around this room again lol, they definitely are!) I guess I don't care enough to actually buy furniture.

We call that style of interior design "Early Attic and Contemporary Cellar" ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Scored some free pallets today, some really good wood. One thing in that pile was like a display type thing that was likely used in the store...has four compartments that are the perfect size for nest boxes for my broody hens and I was just needing a mobile unit like that for being able to convert the broody ward from one mode to another.

When not in use in the broody ward, I could likely use this unit on the back of the shed for organizing things and storage.

100_0361.JPG
100_0360.JPG

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, treerooted & Bee, you've got a point about being tuned-in by the locals. And you've reported on real good stuff!

One year, we crossed paths with a fellow we don't know well. But he operates a serious log-house building operation (employs himself and a small number of other guys). Well, there are certain portions of logs that they cannot use... maybe too big around, too flared, too bent, whatever. So he offered us to bring up our pickup and my chainsaw, axe, wedges & sledgehammer. And we got free firewood, simply by adding-in our own labor.

In the following years, I think the gift went to other people. But it was a good thing for us that year.