Got my exercise... more roosters

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife came in and said why do you have roosters in with the layers? I answered there should only be one rooster in there. She said well a rooster jumped on a hen and the big rooster ran him off. I'm thinking to myself what?

So I got on my muck Boots and sure enough she was right. Not one rooster but five. I guess I wasn't watching close enough to the first brood of 15 that hatched last this winter.

My daughter in law and I chased and caught them and put them in the "boy yard" as my daughter in law calls it. It's the yard with the turkey tom and the other 4 roosters. Now I have 9 roosters for the pot :) they aren't fighting to bad right now - but it's also dark out there. It should be entertaining tomorrow and until I process them.this weekend.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hatched some EE's looks like most are gonna be roos. That's ok, I can't hardly stand store bought chicken and these will make nice freezer meat.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How are Buff Orpengton as far a meat goes? I know my first flock of Rhode Island Reds we're only fit for the position. Meat was supper tough when I fried up one. I hope Buff Orpengtons will be more tender.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The growth rate of the heritage breeds makes them older than a tender fryer would normally be, IMO. :idunno But, chicken & dumplings are good or slow cook for chicken salad, pot pies, etc.
How you butcher, handle to age meat, all factor in. Baymule does more of this than I have in years. Maybe she'll chime in.

That's why you see people raising the meat bird types if they are looking to seriously fill the freezer, 6-12 week old birds.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a reason I only use silkies for soup besides the small size. My ameraucana boys were the same way. They are well past 20 weeks before there is enough meat on them. And it has actual texture like meat. The silkies actually fry up better even though they are older than the ameraucana usually. The small size makes a difference. I treat them like the pheasant we'd have when I was growing up. Soup is easiest though. Uses the meat best.

I'm going to try pressure cooking one and make shredded chicken. If it works I know what I'm taking to the family Halloween party this year. Shredded black chicken salad.