1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Farm Dogs
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Got my exercise... more roosters

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by crealbilly, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Aug 16, 2017
    crealbilly

crealbilly Almost Self-Reliant

Wife came in and said why do you have roosters in with the layers? I answered there should only be one rooster in there. She said well a rooster jumped on a hen and the big rooster ran him off. I'm thinking to myself what?

So I got on my muck Boots and sure enough she was right. Not one rooster but five. I guess I wasn't watching close enough to the first brood of 15 that hatched last this winter.

My daughter in law and I chased and caught them and put them in the "boy yard" as my daughter in law calls it. It's the yard with the turkey tom and the other 4 roosters. Now I have 9 roosters for the pot :) they aren't fighting to bad right now - but it's also dark out there. It should be entertaining tomorrow and until I process them.this weekend.

Hinotori and NH Homesteader like this.
  2. Aug 16, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Almost Self-Reliant

YEP!! I find 2 can normally work together in a pen, more than that? A fight!

crealbilly likes this.
  3. Aug 16, 2017
    crealbilly

Yeah and my grand daughter is outside the fence yelling - you need help paw paw? Get him.paw paw -:lol

4. Aug 16, 2017
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Get a nice long handled trout net. Easy to catch birds without hurting them

crealbilly likes this.
  5. Aug 16, 2017
    crealbilly

Great idea - thanks

6. Aug 16, 2017
    baymule

baymule Super Self-Sufficient

I hatched some EE's looks like most are gonna be roos. That's ok, I can't hardly stand store bought chicken and these will make nice freezer meat.

crealbilly likes this.
  7. Aug 19, 2017
    crealbilly

How are Buff Orpengton as far a meat goes? I know my first flock of Rhode Island Reds we're only fit for the position. Meat was supper tough when I fried up one. I hope Buff Orpengtons will be more tender.

8. Aug 19, 2017
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Almost Self-Reliant

The growth rate of the heritage breeds makes them older than a tender fryer would normally be, IMO. :idunno But, chicken & dumplings are good or slow cook for chicken salad, pot pies, etc.
    How you butcher, handle to age meat, all factor in. Baymule does more of this than I have in years. Maybe she'll chime in.

That's why you see people raising the meat bird types if they are looking to seriously fill the freezer, 6-12 week old birds.

9. Aug 19, 2017
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

There's a reason I only use silkies for soup besides the small size. My ameraucana boys were the same way. They are well past 20 weeks before there is enough meat on them. And it has actual texture like meat. The silkies actually fry up better even though they are older than the ameraucana usually. The small size makes a difference. I treat them like the pheasant we'd have when I was growing up. Soup is easiest though. Uses the meat best.

I'm going to try pressure cooking one and make shredded chicken. If it works I know what I'm taking to the family Halloween party this year. Shredded black chicken salad.

10. Aug 19, 2017
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

o_O