Got My Feet Wet, and Hands Greasy - Soapmaking

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I finally did it, I made my first batch of soap today.

I thought I'd get my feet wet with a simple, single oil laundry soap to start out with before I get into making shower/shampoo/shaving stuff. Going by all the articles I've read and videos I've watched, everything went as it should have.

My motto is; go big or go home :p so I made a 25 pound batch roughly; 20 pounds of oil and 112 ounces of water, 45 ounces of lye. I don't know what exactly happens to the water during the cure, if it evaporates or converts or what but I'm guessing after the cure I will have about 25 pounds of soap.

I am not sure why Grandma never really taught us kids how to do stuff like soapmaking, kuchen making, and I've yet to sample an apple strudel that is as good as hers, yet nobody in the family knows how to do any of them like she did. So, we have to find our own way, I guess.

Anyway, when I know I eventually want to make a lot of something and I see the price for a 100g of lard is 0.65 and the price for a 44 pound box is 0.23 per 100g well, I go big.

I softened the lard by putting it in a pail and putting that in a tub of hot water until it was liquid-like (abour 105F) although not clear, I took my lye/water mix which was at 160F and strained that into the lard, this 'almost' was enough heat to clear the oil, it actually turned the yellowish color but it didn't quite go clear.

Prior to starting I made a mixer that would fit into a drill and used that to do most of the mixing, basically a 3/16 rod that I bent into kind of a zig-zag at the one end, it worked great.

I kept noticing it was thickening up slowly, but surely, I'd leave it sit for 5 minutes and go clean up some stuff and come back, mix again, a little bit thicker, go do something else and come back and mix again... a bit thicker again, then finally, I could see trace WooHoo!

After good trace, I poured about a gallon out into a clean bowl and put a teaspoon of cocoa powder into the remaining and mixed it in, trying to get a bit of color swirl. I didn't want to use too much cocoa as this is laundry soap and it just barely turned is a slightly darker shade, then I poured back in the un-colored soap in four big dollops and cut through a single time with the spatula, then I poured it into the mold.

I am thinking the swirls will not be very noticeable because of the very slight coloring and I think I could have mixed to a bit heavier trace before separating and adding color so they would have stayed more definite.

We'll see how it goes, I will try to get some pics when I unmold it tomorrow and cut it into bars.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hope it turns out good for you.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
O_M_G

25 pounds!! That's amazing! And a lot of work!!

why did you have to strain the lye mixture? Mine is always clear and I never have seen that on any directions that I read.

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It was a bit of work. I started warming up the oil in the hot water at around 6:00, I'm not sure what time I added the lye to the oil but I think it was around 8:00 or 8:30 and I poured into the mold at 10:00.

I strained the lye because I saw somebody do it in a video, the liquid was clear but there was still a lot of crud that strained off, strange, plus I have lots of stainless steel 270 mesh so it wasn't a big deal to do it.

I was going to leave it for 24 hours before I cut it but I touched the top of it this morning and it is pretty hard already so I may have to cut it this morning.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Be careful with straining the lye. You probably strained off the extra lye. It can take a good bit of stirring to get it to completely dissolve. :)

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I forgot to say that I put Tea Tree and Tangerine essential oils in for fragrance, 100ml and 15ml respectively, it smells pretty good.

The mold measured to be 13 liters and it was FULL; in the photo, it shows the side that was higher, the other side only had barely a 1/4" before overflow.

Slight problem, I used some scraps from particle board furniture and the plastic or paint coating stuck to the soap. it is pretty easy to scrape off with a sharp knife though, so not a big deal.

Here are some pics:

GEDC0009.jpg

GEDC0010.jpg

GEDC0011.jpg

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out, despite my apprehensions about the swirl.

My boss asked me what I used and when I told him lard, he asked how much I paid, then he told me he gets pork fat for free from the butcher, when he needs it for sausage. I might have to look into rendering my own if I can get it for free.

The family now has a source for "Grandma's" soap, and I'm glad to do it, although mine are maybe a little more hi-tech - rectangular instead of cubes and swirl, LOL.

Steveca

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I did a load of laundry with this soap tonight and I think it did OK, even though it is not 100% cured yet, only been 24 hours but it still worked well and smells nice, not like fat. I received the Gamma seal lids for my bucket washing machine today so I wanted to try it out too. I basically just wet a wool sock (I wear them year round, this is Canada you know) and rubbed a bar into it until it was saturated with soap and stuck it in the pail of water, that was enough soap for the load... looks like a coffee stain came out of one of my shirts.

Judging by how much pain I feel in little cuts and scrapes in my hands from commercial laundry soap when sticking a finger in the detergent with a hangnail or fresh cut that it burns a fair bit and this stuff I made pretty much is on par with that but I think it will still mellow out a bit with another day or two of curing as it is fairly cold where it is sitting.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
And here I thought the CA was for California! What part of Canada are you in?