Goverment strikes again

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I find it adorable and naive how these articles always end with "and call your Congressman!"

Because that always helps!!!

LOL

Once again, I'll just buy local and trust when they say they didn't use any chemicals to grow their food. I don't need the label. Believing the label is just as naively trusting as taking your local farmers' word for it. :hu

Better yet would be to grow my own but my little porch is... well... little. And north facing :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
budget cuts are going to happen everywhere....in every category....in every situation. no telling where the govt. is going to cut spending next. this is just normal cuts to me.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
budget cuts are going to happen everywhere....in every category....in every situation. no telling where the govt. is going to cut spending next. this is just normal cuts to me.
Have to agree there. They're cutting EVERYTHING. They just cut school breakfast program from somewheres. Gosh, I forget where. Great plan!! Let's starve the kids and THEN force them to sit through classes where we also cut music, art, PE, recess....

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
The new house majority that controls the purse strings in Colorado cut the school breakfast program. As the leading Republican from Colorado Springs stated. "If the parents of those children can't afford to feed them breakfast than they aren't working hard enough". He did qualify that with the fact that he has 3 children of his own and they eat a good breakfast every day at his expense. Elections have consequences. Remember that next time if you voted that way.

Yes the agricultural committee that controls the farm bill is controlled by the majority party in the House. The people that voted them in wanted cuts in Federal spending. They are doing exactly what they were elected to do.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Why is the school responsible for feeding kids breakfast again? They can barely do lunch correctly.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Why is the school responsible for feeding kids breakfast again? They can barely do lunch correctly.
Because any food is better than none? LOL.

I don't think they were doing it RIGHT... but they didn't know that, so it's interesting they cut it :D

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Same reason Social Services pulls kids out of unhealthy and violent situations. Because as a nation we care about our kids and their survival as well as their ability to succeed in life.

Breakfast isn't going to save a kids life. It might help the kids brain to function a little better if they aren't hungry though.

Yes it would be better if they were fed at home before they came to school. Maybe Mom is raising them by herself and has to go to work at 5 am and they have to get themselves to school and don't eat cause they're not hungry yet. Maybe the mother is so broke she can't afford breakfast. Maybe the parents are drunk in bed and don't wake up to feed their kids.

The point is it's not the kids fault most likely. So as fellow human beings we should take care of them with our tax dollars. Unless you don't really give a fig about other people which is getting to be a bigger and bigger problem in the USA.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see 2 sides to this

kids are to be helped. they are not adults. they should have meals obviously. it is not the child's fault.

but

why should taxpayers feed your kid? Some truly feel it is the parents responsibility or a family member should help etc. The parents should be held responsible obviously for taking care of their children to the level of providing breakfast. the taxpayers should not be feeding your children.

I do advocate free breakfast and lunch for kids, but it irks the living crap out of me that I have to pay with my tax dollars to do this.

Taxpayers should not have to intervene in personal lives about whether or not you have the perfect situation for breakfast.

UGH but I would never want a kid to go hungry for any reason at all.