Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked up our Amish friend and his young son to pick pears off of our pear trees. We picked a bushel off each tree. I showed him around and he said my look at all the elderberries. I thought they were weeds. But he said no not weeds most definitely elderberriers. So now I know what they are I have enough about the place for many years of use, there's a lot of them in clusters about the place.

Here's one of many clusters just strating to ripen. He said good for wine and medical elixirs. Which is right up my alley ;)
IMG_20200815_145116668.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the oldest out building, it's a 1 car garage. But honestly, it might be the most valuable. The walls are lined with 1 1/4" old growth wide antique heartwood pine and it's also framed in old growth white oak 2x4's, 2x6's and 6x6's

Before and after replacing door frame and painting. I plan on painting the rest of it next summer but for now, I just wanted to get it ready for winter.
IMG_20200829_132556097_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200830_134517058_HDR~2.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have a shallow well. Don't use the hand pump or anything. it sits. My well is 500+ ft deep and has a powerful pump....great pressure, etc. Have underground pipe run to supply various spigots all along....plus a mobile home at the back of the property. I'm tapped into a huge aquaifer.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Absolutely wonderful for you but a TOTAL CRIME to tear down such a barn. What I wouldn't give to have a barn like that on a piece of property.... as would so many on BYH would love to have something like that. There is alot less damage on that one than on so many here.... makes a farmer like me cry....
Can you imagine the tonnage of loose hay that was stored in that barn????? and the number of small sq bales that it could hold with that high gambrel roof? and the care and consideration that went into building it?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... Mr Bailey who WAS going to cut my fields for hay said he doesn't need the hay. But for $18.00 an acre and the rights to hay next year he would bush hog it for me. And he must think I just fell off the turnip truck. Of course I said no way Jose.

So I went and talked to John John who hayed my fields at our old house. After 7 years I don't even know John's last name but he and his son are both named John so some people call him John John. I do know he's a preacher, also so others call him Preacher John. He came out took a quick look and said "anyone in their right mind would be foolish not to cut this for hay" so John and his son John are coming next week to make hay \o/.

The only thing I want at this point is for the fields, which are shoulder deep now to be cut. So I can sit on my barn roof and shoot a couple of deer. John John said this will be the first cutting, it's thick and is going to make a lot of rounds. He asked me if I needed any? I said no I already have 6 rounds that were left here and no animals beside chickens and turkeys. So take it all John, please take it all.

I am curious though how many rounds it will produce for him.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also tore out the walls that we're for a kitchenette and bathroom. Wired one of the 27 foot walls for our chest freezer, a 7' countertop, an electric stove, another 7' countertop, a upright freezer and a refrigerator. Once completed it should be all we need to have family dinners and holidays in the multi-purpose room.
IMG_20200910_014245757.jpg

I also switched all the wiring to underground feeders wires did away with the old fuse box and started wiring all my branch circuits into the new 200 amp breaker box, much safer now.
IMG_20200910_014305702.jpg

All the branch circuits are home run to the main panel box. And dedicated branch circuits for lights and recipiticals. Each freezer and refrigerator are also dedicated circuits. This is the way I was taught to wire. The wiring in the pannel box is pretty tidy also. I think my old college professor, would give me an A for this wiring job.
IMG_20200910_020208343.jpg

There's still a ton left to do, but it's going to have to wait until building materials come down in price. No way I'm paying stupid high prices for what I need to finish it, with a OSB plywood ceiling and drywall for the walls. The lumber is not a problem, since I own a sawmill and woodshop :)

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope you have a drywall lift.
DH was working on the basement in our place in Wyoming and had me drive to the Northern Tool Store in Colorado to buy a drywall lift for him. Even though I was terrified to drive in a city I didn't know - all by myself - I did it. I know it saved our marriage.