Grain/Gluten, Legume and Dairy free food ideas and sharing journal

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm doing this to keep track but you guys are more than welcome to join in and add your own ideas or help me out.

This "diet" was recommeded by my daughter's clinical dietitian via her pulmonogist to combat her issues with internal inflammation.

Yesterday's menu:

Breakfast:
eggs and bacon
water
coffee
(I know I should have had some veggies in there somewhere, but I needed to go shopping.)

Lunch:
biggy salad full of bell peppers, carrots, romaine and baby spinach
topped with leftover pulled pork
homemade balsamic* and cold pressed olive oil dressing
water
(obviously I went shopping)

Dinner:
smothered eye of round steak (smothering sauce is white wine and tomato paste)
smothered on a bed of 1 sauteed-in-bacon-fat onion
served with sauteed (again, in bacon fat) red, green and yellow bell peppers, garlic and even more onions
side salad with homemade balsamic and olive oil dressing
water

snacks:
a few blueberries, strawberries and macadamia nuts
fermented cucumbers aka pickles

Today's menu:
Breakfast:
fluffy coconut flour pancakes (used ghee for the pan)
topped with raw local honey, strawberries and blueberries
water
(water and coffee with coconut milk for me)

Lunch:
Biggy baby spinach salad with tomatoes and red onions
topped with homemade honey dijon mustard dressing (used raw ACV for this dressing)
water

Dinner:
baked chicken
steamed broccoli
smashed sweet potatoes
water

Snacks:
macadamia nuts, strawberries and blueberries
slice of leftover chicken breast

One question for you guys, besides slow cooked bone broths, how else can I get more calcium into our diet?

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
canned salmon, mash in the soft bones? I make salmon patties with lots of egg and mashed up cooked brown rice. Also canned herring the water packed, natural smoke no preservative kind.

Calcium pills make me ill; so I'm "supposed" to eat lots of dark greens.

Who around this site makes their own bacon?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
StupidBird said:
canned salmon, mash in the soft bones? I make salmon patties with lots of egg and mashed up cooked brown rice. Also canned herring the water packed, natural smoke no preservative kind.

Calcium pills make me ill; so I'm "supposed" to eat lots of dark greens.

Who around this site makes their own bacon?
First, :welcome from NE Ohio!

With regards to bacon, there's a bunch of 'em lurking around here... :hide

Check out OhioFarmGirl's thread.

Shhh, they'll hear us!!! Leaving now... :hide :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well I grew the pig in a pasture and had the bacon smoked with no added anything. He ate high on the hog so to speak. So we use bacon and bacon fat often around here. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
SKR8PN makes bacon (ooo, that even rhymes! Quick, someone write up a song!) :p I plan on trying to make a bit soon, in preparation for next year's pigs. Most of mine is at the butcher, but I forgot a couple of hunks in the upstairs freezer so we will make an attempt at our own brining and smoking in another month or two. Probably to coincide with an attempt at maple syrup.

I don't have brain power right now, BBH, but reading your menu makes me want to pack up a bag and come to your house for an extended visit! Invite me and I'll come one day, you'll see! :D

Bone broths should get lots of calcium into Sam. Just be sure to add a glug of ACV in the beginning and let it sit for a few hours if you can. You can also serve well-cooked ribs, the kind that the ends of the bones become soft and edible. I remember loving to eat the bones when I was a kid. Me and my sibs were like a bunch of starving puppies! :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
But remember that you can't rely on calcium from a veg source as it is not very bioavailable, and too much, especially raw as in spinach salads, can lead to oxalate kidney stones. Ouch.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
If you are fighting internal inflammation, I would cut out nightshades...I posted on the paleo thread about them but they are inflammatory.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks free. :)

Dace I am going to have to go into a 12 step program to quit tomatoes and bell peppers. :p I make EVERYTHING with tomatoes and bell peppers..gotta rethink a bunch of recipes.

Oh well, if it means that Sam possibly won't have to have a risky throat surgery I will do it.

O.k. day 6 now and I have tons of energy lately (which could be coffee related). I did however notice that Sam has tons of energy lately too. She spent all day outside with her poodle in her back pack playing "hiker". :p (She is so goofy.) However she isn't usually an outdoors-y kind of kid, so I'm VERY impressed. She had tons of energy yesterday and the day before too.

My question of the day for the food gurus is, should I still keep her on her high vitamin butter oil? Her brain is still recovering, so I have her on that and fermented cod liver oil.

Now for the day's menu:

Breakfast:
leftover plain "fluffy coconut pancakes" (this time made with coconut milk)
water
(water and coffee for me)
(had dr.s appointments all morning, so that was it as far as breakfast)

Oh by the way...she CAN drink water if she waits 30 minutes after she eats and then brushes her teeth. All other liquids have to be thickened with gross stuff, so I am limiting her to just water.

Lunch:
Chicken leg, skin on
avocado half
water

Dinner:
Chicken tortilla-less soup stuffed with bell peppers (I premade this soup, before I read Dace's post about no nightshades), onions, carrots, celery, cilantro and spinach in bone broth <--calcium! :D
topped with avocado
water

Snacks:
macadamia nuts
blueberries
2 slices of nitrate free turkey breast
1 hard boiled egg