Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, we've circulated the pine needle information. Have you made pine needle tea? If so, please share: fresh or dried? How much needle/cup H2O. And, how nasty is the flavor? Any tricks to improve palatability???

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We made it with fir needles (the only pines we have are ponderosa, which are not recommended- they can cause abortion, apparently). The fir had a mild, fruity taste; not nasty at all. I understand pine has a light citrus flavor.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll have to try some. We have fir, spruce and pine in abundance. So... I'd be wise to harvest a couple # of needles. I also have abundance of mint.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have southern yellow pine, will that work?

Also the green sweet gum balls have shikimic acid in them.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thats great! what bread was it?
I raise Cornish Cross chickens every year. I have several customers who pay well for them. What we are processing now will be for ours and DDs freezers 6 more in the cooler to do tomorrow and 8 more in the chicken tractor to slaughter on Monday, if the creek don’t rise. LOL

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! What a beautiful garden and all those herbs! I want a herd garden, been here 7 years, ain’t done it yet. But at least the garden produces.

I get you on the sand! Ours is called sugar sand. White, fine, devoid of humus and nutrients, pure sand. I’ve been cheated! Where is my ocean? A lake? Ok, what about a pond? Puddle? Nothing? Maybe a bucket of water…… LOL

And the DUST! Can’t keep anything clean, always in a state of dusty or dustier.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love your garden! I used cinder/cement blocks for mine too. They were a pain to set up, but I don't have to worry about rot or termites destroying them.

I used treated wood for my first raised beds. They lasted less than a year.